Les Trésors du Jazz - 1954?

neveronfriday

I was wondering if André Francis & Jean Schwarz are still putting out this wonderful series. So far I've always managed to find each box (4 so far, up until 1953, plus two separate ones by the same editors), but this year ... no luck yet.

So, does anyone (f. ex. Brownie) have an idea if this series will be continued?

Any info appreciated (maybe I was just dumb again and didn't look in the right places?).

Thanks!

P.S.: I won't be able to check in here for answers until beginning/middle of next week. I'm away on a short trip as of ... now.

(I)

B00007ITAE.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(II)

B00007ITAF.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(III)

B0000AOVOB.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(IV)

City_Jazz_574127180.jpg

(V)

2352951.jpg

[Edit: Added cover for 5th volume, now available)

Edited by neveronfriday

Excellent series carefully remastered!

Have not seen anything new from them lately.

Hope they're working on new sets!

They started with a piano set that included all the important pianists from more than 50 years ago.

The Tresors du Jazz 1954 set is announced for release on October 27!

Just had to check in quick.

Thanks Brownie! :)

And color me happy! :excited: Looking forward to that next box. I have the piano one as well. As you said, excellent job, a great selection of tunes to boot, always something to be discovered there, and just an all-around great job done by people who care about the music very much.

Now I'm really off.

Later, and thanks again! :tup

Edited by neveronfriday

Neveronfriday, informatively Andre Francis and Jean Schwarz also produced a series of lowpriced 2CD sets of all the jazz greats (Armstrong, Bechet, Ellington, Hampton, Hawkins, Bud Powell, Art Tatum, Lester Young and others) which were released this week. They look nice and are very decently priced.

Good introductions to jazz for beginners (and others!).

Series is titled 'Jazz Characters' and distributed by Harmonia Mundi/Le Chant du Monde. Have not been able to find anything on the net about these new releases...

I'll have a look at their shop (Harmonia Mundi) in Strasbourg sometime next week. There's also a really nice café not far from there, so if it's not too cold and cloudy, I'll endulge in a nice glas of wine with some Distel playing on my mp3 player. ;)

Don't forget to look for the albums at the FNAC in central Strasbourg! They should have all these Francis/Schwarz sets at better prices than the Harmonia Mundi stores.

Wish I could join you for a choucroute dinner at one of the riverside winstubs!

Strasbourg is a beautiful city!

I'll have a look at their shop (Harmonia Mundi) in Strasbourg sometime next week. There's also a really nice café not far from there, so if it's not too cold and cloudy, I'll endulge in a nice glas of wine with some Distel playing on my mp3 player. ;)

Don't forget to look for the albums at the FNAC in central Strasbourg! They should have all these Francis/Schwarz sets at better prices than the Harmonia Mundi stores.

Wish I could join you for a choucroute dinner at one of the riverside winstubs!

Strasbourg is a beautiful city!

What's a good prize for these sets, brownie? I've seen them here, but at minimum 50€...

What's a good prize for these sets, brownie? I've seen them here, but at minimum 50€...

I see them pretty often in secondhand shops at half that price. Did not check the official price at the big stores here...

And I just was in that store which has them, and they're not 50 but 80 to 85€!!!

Well, they also had "No Material" (Ginger Baker, Brötzelmeister, Sonny Sharrock, Nicky Skopelitis and Jan Kazda) for 10€ :)

I usually paid below 40 by waiting long enough (sometimes a mere 15 - 20 on eBay), but too many people seem to have caught on and the new boxes have a way of disappearing relatively fast. I'm hooked, so I went the jpc route (I still had a voucher to blow there courtesy of a project I helped on, so the thing didn't cost me a cent). :party:

@brownie : I'm a nasty customer. I spend tons of time at the Harmonia Mundi store (small but good) ... and then buy elsewhere (or online). Harmonia Mundi/Chant du Monde is/are not well represented on the Internet, so checking out their stuff in Strasbourg has become a regular thing for me.

Yes, a winstub it will be. There's a great one very close (forgot the name of the street) where we always go (I'm going with a French colleague of mine who drives to Strasbourg about once a week; it's only about 45 minutes away from here plus 15 minutes to get to some totally obscure parking lots he always uncovers) and where we get brilliant food from the Alsace region, usually too much wine, and about two hours of non-stop stories from the owner who lived through/suffered through the upheavals of French-German history. Very pleasant guy and the real Strasbourg atmosphere (the half-timbered bulilding is in the oldest part of Strasbourg, with Gudd Stub and all, if anyone knows what that is).

Hey, I'm getting all tingly thinking about the trip.

I'll be having 1/4 on each of you guys. :o

Santé/Prost!

Edited by neveronfriday

• 10 months later...

just a short pre-alert:

there is a sixth 10CD set coming out in France on 29th October and its currently on pre-order at amazon.fr for 37€...

Not sure about what it contains, as I haven't seen anywhere else any notice about it...

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: HERE the link

Idiot! ;)

grrrrr

You just effectiverly ended my moratorium. Haven't bought anything for a long time ... now I have to.

Thanks for the link! :tup

grrrrrrrrrrrr

• 2 years later...