What To Do with Trashed Record Jackets?

Alexander

I recently inherited a large number of old rock LPs. Many of them have jackets that are falling apart, and some of them have separated completely. I plan on getting inner sleeves for the ones that don't have them, but what can I do about the jackets that have fallen apart? Should I attempt to glue or tape them together? Or should I just stick them in plastic sleeves?

If you're llooking to sell them, carefully glue them together using something like Lepages. Really take your time and do them "right". If you're going to keep them, just leave them be. Keep the records in them (in a decent inner sleeve) between the jacket parts (which usually don't come completely apart).

• 3 weeks later...

But if the outside of the cover is really ratched, for example, separating, here's what I do.

I first lightly [for aesthetic reasons, as Harold suggested] glue any actual separating of the outside layers of the album.

I then reinforce the edges of the cover with clear packing tape.

The reason I do both, whether I'm going to keep them or not, is that sliding the albums out from the other albums on the shelf makes any existing damage worse.

So, by making the outside of the cover smooth, that doesn't happen.

The edges are the other wear area and it's a good idea to seal them up with clear, heavyweight tape.

Then, a fresh inner sleeve and there you go.

Edited by patricia