Suggestions for a podcasting rig.

Jim Dye

I've been given the task of putting together a mobile recording rig for recording podcasts, spoken word events, panels, etc... I need something where I can bring in at least 4 independent vocal tracks and mix them later.

The budget is between 1000-2000. We already have a PowerBook with Logic Express.

Here is what I have come up with:

MOTU Traveler Firewire audio interface. (850.00)

4x Shure SM58 mics. (400.00)

5x Sennheiser SD202 headphones (150.00)

plus stands, cables, pop filters, etc...

Anything else you can think of?

:tup

I've heard of some issues with the Traveler (driver issues mainly) but I don't recall if that was PC or Mac drivers that people were having problems with.

I just bought a Presonus FIREPOD (8 channel firewire interface with 8 mic preamps, going for around $600) and I love it. That's what those three new Christmas tunes were recorded with in my basement, even though I have three MOTU interfaces (a 2408 mkIII, a 1224, and a 24i) hooked up to my desktop music computer. The Presonus is just so easy to use and convenient... Three mics on the drums, two on the Leslie and one on the guitar recorded to my laptop running Cubase LE (which comes with the Firepod).

You should really get an external firewire harddrive to record audio to. Macs are better at using the internal drive as a record drive than PCs, but it is always a good idea to have your audio going to a dedicated drive. I've been using an Acomdata E5 250gb firewire harddrive that was about $120 I think. Of course, I'm recording up to 8 channels at 24bit/88.2kHz so I'm eating up space. For what you're doing, you could easily get away with something smaller, say 80gb.

SM58s are fine. You could also go with SM57s. Same capsule, different head, but a little lower profile. They use them all the time at press conferences. Are you just recording people talking? A lot of times people will use those goofy Shure mixers that automatically "close" a mic when no one is talking, auto-compress channels, etc. They can work well if properly setup, but if you're editing after the fact, you can do all that yourself (ie, turning someone's channel down, compressing a bit so you don't have to crank the volume to hear someone, etc.)