Wall mount or bookshelf speakers with subwoofer

riverrat

Riverrat here, back with more speaker questions.

I'm currently in negotiation with my wife (aka the "Chief") concerning the location of my sound system in our new home, which is still under construction.

I really enjoy listening to music while I cook dinner, and also while entertaining. I'm usually too busy to just sit down specifically to listen to music while doing nothing else. When I do, I'm likely to lie down on the couch and listen through headphones.

So, for these reasons, I'm putting my foot down to have my system and CDs in the "great" room of our new home, rather than relegated to the "media" room upstairs.

The Chief would prefer that, to the degree possible, my speakers be heard and not seen. If they are seen, they must be attractive. I'm in the market for new ones, and had pretty much written off any small bookshelf sized or wall mount speakers because my impression is that they do not produce high quality sound.

I was looking at medium sized towers such as those by Paradigm or Axiom. I also briefly considered buying a used set of Bose 901s which I could hang from the ceiling. I understand people either love or hate these, the only ones I ever heard sounded great to me. But buying used speakers is a risk, and I have no idea how these might sound with my current system. I have also not broached the issue of hanging speakers from chains with the Chief yet, and I am suspicious this may not go over well.

I'm wondering I should also be considering a wider range of options, especially given the plethora of new speaker systems designed for home theater that have smallish satellite speakers and a subwoofer. It would be fine with me to avoid floor standing speakers, as long as I do not sacrifice sound quality.

My budget is around $1000. My system consists of an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver and a Sony C222ES CD/SACD player. My current speakers are ancient Speakerlab S3s, so I am really looking forward to better sound.

Can anyone recommend a system with smallish wall mount satellite speakers and a sub that would satisfy my desire for a significant upgrade from my current speakers but in an unobtrusive package? Keep in mind I'm not really an "audiophile", but I do appreciate bang for the buck and good clean sound.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by riverrat