Trio Da Paz - Somewhere

GA Russell

When I think of bossa nova guitarists, I think of Charlie Byrd, Baden Powell, Luis Bonfa, Laurindo Almeida and Brasil '65's Rosinha de Valenca. I've got a new name for the list - Romero Lubambo.

I was given the new CD by a group called Trio Da Paz entitled Somewhere. It was a pleasant surprise to receive it, because the fellow who reviews jazz for my local newspaper the Raleigh News & Observer (and also for Downbeat), Owen Cordle, gave it a rave review when it came out in September, and named it the #2 new album of the year on his year's Top Ten list.

I opened it up the day after Christmas, and listened to it on the drive home from my sister's in Pennsylvania. Although I wouldn't necessarily give it the greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread treatment, it's a very good album.

The great ones make it look easy, and although Lubambo may seem to be putting a little more effort into it than the greats from the 60s did, he still deserves to be given the thumbs up for this album. Every song is good, and to my taste the title track is the least interesting of the bunch.

Lubambo is backed by bass and drums in the trio, both very competent. The players are not young. The liner notes say that the group has been together for fifteen years, and as a group have recorded and performed with Charlie Byrd, Herbie Mann, Lee Knoitz and Kenny Barron. Lubambo has performed with Dianne Reeves, Michael Brecker, Grover Washington, Jr., and Kathleen Battle. Bassist Nilson Matta has performed with Joe Henderson, Don Pullen, Yo-Yo Ma and Oscar Castro Neves. Drummer Duduka Da Fonseca is a Grammy nominee who has performed with Astrud Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, John Scofield and Tom Harrell.

For those of you who like bossa nova, I can recommend this one.

Here's the CD Universe link:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...297753001&BAB=M

When I think of bossa nova guitarists, I think of Charlie Byrd, Baden Powell, Luis Bonfa, Laurindo Almeida and Brasil '65's Rosinha de Valenca.

The godfather of bossa nova guitar (and of Bossa Nova, for that matter) is Joao Gilberto. His early recordings are unfortunately OOP, but there are plenty of recordings from the past 20-30 years still available. Of course, he also sings. :)

I've got a new name for the list - Romero Lubambo.

Definitely not new, as you've already realized. Trio Da Paz "Brazil From The Inside" (Concord) dates back to 1992. Lubambo has played and recorded with a variety of artists from all over the globe. In addition to those you listed, he's recorded with:

Ana Caram,Pamela Driggs,Vincent Herring,Joyce,Raphael Rabello,Yo-Yo Ma,Cesar Camargo Mariano,Paula Robison,Cyro Baptista, and Luciana Souza.

Definitely not new, as you've already realized. Trio Da Paz "Brazil From The Inside" (Concord) dates back to 1992. Lubambo has played and recorded with a variety of artists from all over the globe. In addition to those you listed, he's recorded with:

Ana Caram,Pamela Driggs,Vincent Herring,Joyce,Raphael Rabello,Yo-Yo Ma,Cesar Camargo Mariano,Paula Robison,Cyro Baptista, and Luciana Souza.

Tri Da Paz' Somewhere is terrific. Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead....great track! The Luciana Souza duets are wonderful...both 1 and 2. Romero also plays on Dianne Reeves' last 2 or 3 CDs...beautiful guitar work all around. I've seen him in Telluride in recent years with his musical partner and wife, Pamela Driggs. Good stuff as you might expect. :tup

Lubambo is backed by bass and drums in the trio, both very competent. The players are not young. The liner notes say that the group has been together for fifteen years, and as a group have recorded and performed with Charlie Byrd, Herbie Mann, Lee Knoitz and Kenny Barron...

The Barron album, titled Canta Brasil, is very nice indeed. Recommended...