Anybody used Barry Harris' Instructional DVD/Books?

Soul Stream

I haven't, but his legendary status as a jazz educator is practically unparalleled. In the book 'Thinking About Jazz' both Barry and many of his students talk about his methods as an instructor. I have to say, any chance to learn from him sounds tantalizing to say the least. 100 bucks is only a couple lessons from good players, let alone greats. I can't imagine you regretting your purchase.

I have them - bought them this past fall, and then I went to his Toronto workshop. The books and videos were made/shot in Toronto with Harris disciple Howard Rees. I'm kind of swamped at work at the moment, but I'll weigh in soon. A friend of mine has the whole series and has been to dozens of the workshops. Here's the link to Howard's website where you can order the stuff.

http://www.jazzworkshops.com/home.html (click the navigation tab on the left)

Edited by Robert J

OK - here's a start. I’ll add more when I’m at home tonight.

The 2 DVD/Book packages are reasonably priced at 100-125$. You get a workbook and 4 DVDs per set - about 4-5 hours worth of material. The DVDs reinforce what the book shows, but not everything in the book is on the DVD. It starts off with the master talking directly to you, after a piano intro, about his thoughts on jazz education. What I do like is that you can tell it’s not completely scripted, so there’s pauses where Barry is thinking aloud, or sometimes correcting himself – what does actually occur in his workshops. This is not to say the video doesn’t have a form, it does.

Here’s the Table of Contents for Vol 1

http://www.jazzworkshops.com/workshop_toc.html

and Volume 2

http://www.jazzworkshops.com/workshop_part2_toc.html

At first glance the workbook seems small (100 or so pages) . But that’s deceiving. There’s enough material in there to keep you very busy. Part of it has to do with the fact that Harris makes you rethink your approach to theoretical material - not just bebop, but jazz in general.

Personally I am taking a slow approach to the first book and I am transposing all of the C examples into every key. I am at the point now where I realize I have certain strengths that I keep relying on, but many obvious gaps I want to correct. Some of what Harris outlines I’ve always felt intuitively (ie. his ½ step approach to improv) but did not have the framework to execute it properly in improvisation).

I feel it is a bit of a “new” beginning for me, and I’ve been through a number of books and methods (in the book part of my study – listening is obviously my primary teacher). I really think more players should be into this method – so many piano players (me included) go right for the Mark Levine books(s) out of habit. Even Levine himself said that one weekend workshop with Barry changed his whole approach. I’d thoroughly agree. It is applicable to all instruments and the DVDs has an ensemble workshop, so no one gets ignored. There’s even sections specifically on rhythm.

Back to work – I’ll continue this later.

Hey Robert J., thanks a lot. Sounds like you've made a sale for Barry's DVD/Workbook, at least to me. I also didn't realize his workshops were at The University of The Streets in NYC. It's a place George Braith talks about quite a lot, but I had never been too. I plan on going to a workshop if at all possible sometime in the future. I've found to have first hand information from one of the originators is worth more than a ton of books by even great musicians.

Thanks again.

Hey Robert J., thanks a lot. Sounds like you've made a sale for Barry's DVD/Workbook, at least to me. I also didn't realize his workshops were at The University of The Streets in NYC. It's a place George Braith talks about quite a lot, but I had never been too. I plan on going to a workshop if at all possible sometime in the future. I've found to have first hand information from one of the originators is worth more than a ton of books by even great musicians.

Thanks again.

The workshops are usually every Tuesday on West 65th Street (behind Lincoln Center), I can't remember the exact address. When that place is unavailible, it's moved to University of the Streets. University of the Streets also has weekend jams sessions run by a great alto saxophonist Jimmy Vass (who's played with Andrew Hill and Charles Mingus among others) and I've seen Braith there many times over the years.

I've never seen Barry's instructional videos but I have taken his classes many times (it's still the best bargain in town, $14 a class I believe) and all I can say is they are great. He really lays it out for you in a clear way and includes everything. I'm sure the videos would be just as valuable. I still go to a class every now and again.

Edited by david weiss