david weiss
Members-
Posts
641 -
Joined
About david weiss
- Birthday 10/21/1964
Profile Information
-
Gender
Male
-
Location
New York, NY
Recent Profile Visitors
7,012 profile views
david weiss's Achievements
Enthusiast (6/14)
-
Rare
-
Rare
-
-
Rare
-
Rare
Recent Badges
-
Tracks Similar to Blue Mitchell's "I'll Close My Eyes"
david weiss replied to TrumpetCory's topic in Artists
I would look for versions of "There Will Never Be Another You" as the chord progressions are quite similar. Also, Kenny Dorham might interest you. I would suggest these..... -
This is news to me. I haven't heard about this. I know Harper didn't have a copy in his record collection unless I missed it completely. I guess a copy could have been had at a cheal price years ago..... https://www.popsike.com/Billy-Harper-Sextet-Collegiate-Jazz-Festival-Notre-Dame-Univ-1964-RARE/381177758774.html Sweet and Sour is probably the Wayne Shorter composition record by Art Blakey. Billy is enamored with that period of Wayne Shorter compositions. Wallace Roney always maintained that Billy got the rhythm for Capra Black from the Shorter tune Armageddon but I did ask Billy about this once and he told me he wrote it before he ever heard the Shorter tune and this certainly confirms this. I'm going to ask Jamey Abersold if he has a copy. It also looks like the recording is archived in the Notre Dame Library. https://archivesspace.library.nd.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/1816630
-
I was told to that for the album index, you list the album or CD where the material first appeared. Outside of the 3 LP compilation, "The Greatest Names in Jazz" that contained one Peterson track that was not previously (or subsequently) released anywhere else (as far as I know) and the newly discovered bonus material, everything has been on CD somewhere except the track that was on "I/We Had a Ball" (again, as far as I know)
-
Hearsay is saying 4 but I don't remember if it was 4 CDs or 4 LPs. Considering the parlance of the times, I would guess 4 LPs.....
-
But reaction to said narcissism seems to be.....
-
This kind of puts the Kennedy Center honors into proper context. Gene sounds like Trump's kind of guy.
-
OK, I'll try to be more specific..... LP is the priority now. They are not going to release bonus material on CD only so that means a 2nd LP for bonus material and that is usually cost prohibitive and there might not be enough material to fill out a 2nd LP. I prepared bonus tracks for Just Coolin' and that idea was nixed (I had chosen 4 bonus tracks if I remember correctly). This does not apply to new releases. They will release all the material intended on both CD and LP. As for the Quebec and Burrell, I guess these were essentially re-issues with a few extra bonus tracks (on the Burrell at least and apparently they missed a couple for the Quebec). Both 3 LP/2 CD sets. Perhaps other tone poets could go this route if there was enough bonus material to fill out a 2nd LP and if they do a CD as well, a single CD. I guess this could happen by combining the two Washington CDs but I'm not sure how much they are looking at stuff like this.
-
Releasing 2 CD sets is not even a consideration for Blue Note these days unless it's a newly released live recording or something. The CD era is over for now. There is drunk and then there is drunk.... Just because Freddie is heard saying "everyone's drunk" on the session reels doesn't necessarily mean everyone was drunk. They sure sounded great.
-
I heard this session. The first time I worked for Blue Note was to co-produce the Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse 3 CD set. Michael and Bob Belden spent around 2 weeks at Capitol studios going through multiple tapes including the Gordon/Stitt session. The first track was salvageable and each subsequent track got worse and worse as they kept drinking and getting more and more drunk. I think they gave up after 3 or 4 tunes. I never heard anything like it. I guess one of the folks who does work up there might think it's good but since we are back in the LP era, where would they release it? I also noticed that the Tyrone Washington album is getting the Tone Poet treatment. I guess if it was the CD era, part of the Trainwreck session might see the light of day.....
-
Brooks! It doesn't look like you are in your usual spot.....
-
Jason left back in July. Kevin Struthers, who has been there for 3o years, was fired this week. He did good work, this is a shame.....
-
Elvin Jones lecture and performance, 24 April 1984
david weiss replied to gvopedz's topic in Artists
Funny, I don't remember any of those, perhaps they were from after I left school..... I remember Joe Henderson because he hung out out at one of our apartments listening to music after the lecture (Woody Shaw's "In the Beginning" had just come out and he had't heard it yet)..... I also remember Dizzy Gillespie, Tommy Flanagan, Michael Brecker, Tom Harrell, Dave Holland and Barry Harris. It was a great series..... -
What live music are you going to see tonight?
david weiss replied to mikeweil's topic in Live Shows & Festivals
Thanks for coming out Pim, it was a fun day. Eddie is fine. He had a minor health issue and was not allowed to fly for a couple of weeks until it was resolved. He joined the band in Nice a couple of weeks later. Billy Hart had a conflict with his own band performing at the Village Vanguard that week and was unable to join us. Billy Harper, unfortunately, has not been in the band for over a year now. His "management" removed him from the band. Azar Lawrence has been the tenor sax player since the beginning of the year and is a great addition. I thought the subs did a great job! -
Elvin Jones lecture and performance, 24 April 1984
david weiss replied to gvopedz's topic in Artists
I was at this clinic. I was going to North Texas at the time. Elvin played a few tunes with the students as well. I wonder why they weren't included. Perhaps there were clearance issues or something. The sax player at the end was John Schroeder. Any excellent sax player. I don't know what happened to him but all we thought he was one of the most promising players at school and destined to great things. Craig Handy, who was also a student at the time, also sat in at some point during this clinic. There were a number of these clinics. Joe Henderson was among one of the more memorable ones.....
_forumlogo.png.a607ef20a6e0c299ab2aa6443aa1f32e.png)