mouthpieces

AllenLowe

playing the alto for the first time in about 20 years - picked up a nice old King which has been set up nicely. Currently have a Meyer 6 mouthpiece, ok but a little too mellow sounding - looking for a slightly more "sour" sound, some edge, maybe more Ernie Henry-like, Art Pepper-ish-hardness. Prefer a plastic/rubber mouthpiece. Don't want to spend over $100 if possible - any ideas? I'm in a hurry, as i have to record with this thing -

I played on a Meyer 5 for years, and a couple of years ago I got a Berg-Larsen rubber mpc. (80/2) that I've been liking. I wanted something with a little more 'hair' on it; not so sweet. The larger number on the mpc. refers to the tip opening (in thousandths of an inch) and your Meyer is about 75, so this would be bigger, some guys go for 85-95 for a wide open thing. The smaller number in the facing (0,1,2,3) refers to the baffle inside the mouthpiece, with 0 being the highest baffle (brightest sound) and 3 being the lowest (darkest sound).

You can check out the Berg website here.

Also: if you change mpcs, especially tip openings, you may have to also try a different strength/brand of reed. Typically, the bigger the tip opening, the softer the reed and vice versa. Of course, your mileage may vary!