Recordings of Charlie Parker and Clifford Brown

Elektra Musician released in 1982 the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet (with Sonny Rollins) date from 1956 under the title 'Pure Genius, volume One'.

The music included in the album came from private tapes owned by LaRue Brown-Watson.

The vinyl sleeve had a note from Eletra Musician boss Bruce Lundvall describing this as 'the first volume of an exception trilogy of previously unissued Clifford Brown-Max Roach performances featuring Sonny Rollins, from the private collection of Mrs. Clifford Brown'.

The other two never came out on Elektra Musician.

Clifford Brown did jam with Charlie Parker. I am pretty sure there are tapes of the music!

hello,

yeah, that´s the recording every bird and brownie afficionado wants to hear!!!

in bob weir´s clifford brown discography (almere 2004) is the date of the charlie parker quartet at the blue note club, philadelphia, pa. given as between 04. - 09. january 1954. brownie and bird, others unknown. and also unknow titles.

in the parker discography "bird lore" by piet koster (almere 2002) and also in the parker discography by claude schlouch (1999) is a second date (14 - 19 june 1954) given. but, according to weir´s note this is incorrect because brownie was in california at this time. koster notes that tapes exists; sound quality is very poor and schlouch mentioned that a tape of this session exists, but according to clifford´s widow, sound quality is very poor. ken vail in his bird´s diary (castle communications 1996) mentioned also the januray 1954 date. but nick catalano in his clifford brown biography (oxford 2000) writes that "thus far no tapes or sound checks have turned up..."

there is a second date with bronie and bird in the books: brian priestley in his chasin´ the bird (oxford 2005), catalano and also vail mentioned a meeting (gig) also in philadelphia, may 1951, were parker said to brownie: "i don´t believe it. i hear what you´re saying, but i don´t believe it." (according to a nat hentoff interview with brownie later in 1954).

so, i think there are recordings of this two. clifford´s widow larue brown watson is dead now (october, 02, 2005), maybe only their son, clifford jr. can bring some light to this. he is dj at brownradio.com

that´s all i know from the books.

keep boppin´

marcel