JRVG's to trade in for RVG equivalents?

davef

I have the following JRVG's I'm considering trading in for RVG's after hearing how well The Natural Soul RVG sounded compared to the JRVG:

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World, Volumes I and II, a double-disk set on the RVG.

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Grant Green - Am I Blue

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing and A Fickle Sonance

Lee Morgan - Leeway

Bud Powell - Bud!

Horace Silver - Finger Poppin'

If anyone here has heard the difference between RVG and JRVG and has a preference, let me know.

Also - I seem to remember that people thought the JRVG of Grant's First Stand was bad. How does the domestic reissue compare?

Thanks! :lol:

I recall that many members of the old BNBB were of the opinion that the JRVG of "Leeway" was one of the worst in that series. I never picked up the JRVG after hearing all the bad reviews, and eventually found a copy of the Conn version, which was pretty good.

The RVG was a definite improvement though, and sounds great, so I think its safe to say that one sounds better than the JRVG.

On the other hand, the domestic RVG of "A Fickle Sonance" sounds pretty harsh to me, and I'm not real discriminating, nor do I have a really great sound system. I believe this has also been mentioned in another thread. I think the JRVG of that session may be better.

And, of course, there are a considerable number of people who prefer the TOCJ series over any RVG or JRVG.

Personally, I have quite a few CDs from all three series, because I purchase them on an opportunistic basis whenever I see a disc that I want for a decent price. The TOCJs are often great sounding, especially the 20-bit ones, and the concensus seems to be that they are very consistent, whereas the RVGs and JRVGs are quite variable in sound quality.

Edited by riverrat

On the other hand, the domestic RVG of "A Fickle Sonance" sounds pretty harsh to me, and I'm not real discriminating, nor do I have a really great sound system. I believe this has also been mentioned in another thread. I think the JRVG of that session may be better.

I had the RVG and then the JRVG of "A Fickle Sonance". Both had the dreaded "AM radio sound": no bass, no top high, distant and reverbed. There was really nothing to choose between the two. I was happy with this album only after I got the TOCJ. A huge difference.

I think the RVG of 'Capuchine Swing' was an improvement over the JRVG. Again, somewhat less harsh-sounding. But the difference is not significant enough for me to trade away my JRVG. But then I almost never upgrade for sound quality, just for bonus material. I even still have my RVG of 'A Fickle Sonance'...

Edited by Daniel A

The TOCJ of that does sound a lot better, but the original studio settings for that date must have been rather trebly, because that first track (Five Will Get You Ten) sounds a bit tinny even on the TOCJ. Plus, a front line of trumpet and alto sax is always going to sound bright anyway. So it is not entirely the fault of the RVG.

Above all, it's an excellent session, and I find I can "sink into" it even with the RVG, which was the first version of it that I ever heard.