Last Call at the Velvet Lounge

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...hi-business-hed

Closing time for historic Velvet Lounge

Howard Reich

Published March 22, 2006

If all goes as planned, the last show at the historic Velvet Lounge -- on the Near South Side -- will start about 10 p.m. April 1 and go into the wee hours.

Scheduled to be razed to make way for a condominium development, the club -- a nexus for avant-garde jazz in Chicago -- will go out with a roar, featuring the mighty Chicago tenor saxophonist Edward Wilkerson Jr., guitarist Jeff Parker and drummer Avreeayl Ra.

"Right now, I don't think the club will go any longer than that night," says owner and saxophonist Fred Anderson, who will be moving his celebrated venue a couple of blocks away, to 67 E. Cermak Rd.

A fundraiser for the move will feature Anderson, Harrison Bankhead and Hamid Drake at 10 p.m. Saturday in the current location, 2128 1/2 S. Indiana Ave., with admission at $20.

The new quarters have been completed, said Anderson, who hopes to reopen in late April or early May.

=====================

remaining gigs-

tonight: Greg Ward and Friends

23-Mar: Vincent Davis and Percussion Plus with special guest Ed Wilkerson Jr.

24-Mar: Nicole Mitchell Black Earth

25-Mar: Benefit: Fred Anderson, Harrison Bankhead, and Hamid Drake

26-Mar: Jazz Jam with Jabari Liu

29-Mar: Greg Ward and Friends

30-Mar: Vincent Davis and Percussion Plus with special guest Ed Wilkerson Jr.

31-Mar: Somebody's Trio + One, with Greg Ward, Karl E. H.

Seigfried, Isaiah Spencer, w/special guest Ernest Dawkins

01-Apr: Avreeayl Ra, Ed Wilkerson, Jeff Parker

Mark, how was the show. Go ahead, make me regret not being able to attend.

It was the most amazing show with Fred and trio playing two jam packed 1 1/2 hour sets with Hamid on Drums and Harrison Bankhead on bass. The first show was just the trio and the second set was primarily the trio with some of the younger musicians joining in for a extended 40 minute jam during the last tune. Just got home a few minutes ago as the show went until about 2:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until 4:30....got about 3 hours of sleep before driving back to Indy this morning....my eyes look like little slits!!!

I have another shoot for an airline in-flight magazine this evening but hope to get to my photographs this evening....I'll post a few when I do. I look forward to next Saturday's final show....should be great but a sad fate for the Velvet.....make it if you can.

New Fred Anderson CD out this week with Hamid and Harrison....killer!!!! Picked up an early copy at the show.

m~

Hey sheldon,

Have you ever consigned photos at the Jazz Record Mart?

HS,

I did talk to the JRM a few years ago when I saw a few images hanging up by another artist but they really want to mark them up pretty high. I thought the chance of selling many were pretty slim. If you've noticed, they really don't take care of much in the store and I didn't really want to mess damage and things of that nature....they have enough problems just keeping the right product in the right bins!!! Although I never really got into it for the money, I do ok with word of mouth and my site.

m~

I wish I could go down next weekend, but I am swamped with homework until this semester is over.

Can someone grab me a piece of the lovely wallpaper?

:P

Seriously, I am going to miss this place.

I wish Fred luck in the new place.

...you almost miss the wallpaper if you're not looking for it! ;)

Edited by sheldonm

Great photo!

Must be from last night?

Th first time I went to the Velvet Lounge was a few years ago, a Saturday night with an open jam session that coincided with Ernest Dawkins performing, after coming back from a trip to Africa. The next afternoon, I went to the DuSable Museum to see Fred Anderson in a tenors show with Jarman and Wilkerson.

....thought I would "up" this thread as Saturday night (tomorrow) is the final performance of the Velvet Lounge in Chicago.

Ed Wilkerson

Avreeayl Ra

Jeff Parker

Who's in?????? I'll be there along with Jazzshrink and hopefully Sal.....anyone else.....Blake, Jazzy Paul, LWayne????

m~

....thought I would "up" this thread as Saturday night (tomorrow) is the final performance of the Velvet Lounge in Chicago.

Ed Wilkerson

Avreeayl Ra

Jeff Parker

Who's in?????? I'll be there along with Jazzshrink and hopefully Sal.....anyone else.....Blake, Jazzy Paul, LWayne????

m~

I'm out. Regretfully.

My wife has family in town from India. If I were to come to Chicago this weekend rumors would be circulated (in India) that my wife wasn't really married or that we were having "problems". Gossipy folks those Indians. ;-)

Ed Wilkerson

Avreeayl Ra

Jeff Parker

m~

I'm out. Regretfully.

My wife has family in town from India. If I were to come to Chicago this weekend rumors would be circulated (in India) that my wife wasn't really married or that we were having "problems". Gossipy folks those Indians. ;-)

Greg,

Not to worry, I'm sure the show will not be very good anyway ;) but just wanted to check!!! Well....we'll miss you but I'll keep you updated with photos! I'll snag you a chunk of wallpaper for your scrapbook.

m~