Verve deletions

Daniel A

This is maybe old news, but it seems as if Universal is quietly deleting CD titles. I was trying to get a copy of the McBride/Whitfield/Payton album "Fingerpainting", but could not find any online store who had it. Then I went to the album entry at the Verve site which has links to Tower and Borders, but it was listed as "unavailable".

I checked a few other albums at random; for example these are all still listed at the site but seem to be discontinued:

Nicholas Payton 'Nick@Night'

Christian McBride 'Number Two Express'

Bobby Hutcherson 'Skyline'

McCoy Tyner 'What the World Needs Now'

Donald Harrison 'Noveau Swing'

Donald Harrison 'Free to Be'

Kenny Barron 'Other Places'

Kenny Barron 'Wanton Spirit'

Probably this is the case for several other albums as well, but there seems to be no easy way to find out which they are, except for trying the Tower, Amazon and Borders links for each album.

I guess they will only be available on iTunes from now on.

This is maybe old news, but it seems as if Universal is quietly deleting CD titles. I was trying to get a copy of the McBride/Whitfield/Payton album "Fingerpainting", but could not find any online store who had it. Then I went to the album entry at the Verve site which has links to Tower and Borders, but it was listed as "unavailable".

I checked a few other albums at random; for example these are all still listed at the site but seem to be discontinued:

Nicholas Payton 'Nick@Night'

Christian McBride 'Number Two Express'

Bobby Hutcherson 'Skyline'

McCoy Tyner 'What the World Needs Now'

Donald Harrison 'Noveau Swing'

Donald Harrison 'Free to Be'

Kenny Barron 'Other Places'

Kenny Barron 'Wanton Spirit'

Probably this is the case for several other albums as well, but there seems to be no easy way to find out which they are, except for trying the Tower, Amazon and Borders links for each album.

I guess they will only be available on iTunes from now on.

Two or so years ago a local store used to have the full Universal Jazz catalogue... I always compared it to the previous one, side by side, taking notes of the missing items of interest... most often already by then it was too late to find the vanished albums... "Number Two Express" and "Fingerpainting" have been OOP for a couple of years, and Barron is treated like he's some avant garde nut, in terms of availability of his music...

Thanks Flurin, I had no idea their catalog was shrinking like this. I'm fortunate to have a couple of the albums I listed, but I'm sure many other titles have disappeared as well. A pity about Fingerpainting; I've been thinking of getting this for several years.

Hi Daniel and Flurin,

Someone is selling "Fingerpaintings" on Amazon France (not sure they ship everywhere):

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000047FK

Amazon Germany still lists it, but with a shipping time of 4-6 weeks, which means they will order it from the label (unsuccesfully probably):

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000047FK/

Edited by Claude

Thanks Flurin, I had no idea their catalog was shrinking like this. I'm fortunate to have a couple of the albums I listed, but I'm sure many other titles have disappeared as well. A pity about Fingerpainting; I've been thinking of getting this for several years.

I guess they got tired of waiting for you to decide...

;)