Dave Holland in Chicago

LWayne

While in Chicago on business, I treated myself to the Dave Holland concert at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. For those that have not been there before, this is a wonderful facility for a jazz concert with great sound and exceptional sight lines. While I purchased a ticket for the sixth floor "gallery" level, not sure that I would be able to break free for the show, I was nonetheless impressed with the view and sound.

The first set featured Dave Holland on bass and master Indian percussionist Trilok Gurtu. Apparently this duo has just returned from shows in Europe and this was their first performance in the United States. I was particularly impressed with the virtuosity of each musician; Trilok Gurtu on tabla and percussion, and Dave Holland bowing the bass. Together they played some interesting rhythms that fused together Indian, world, rhythm and blues, and jazz influences. While the music was certainly captivating at first, I found myself losing a little interest as the set wore on.

The second set featuring the North American debut of the Dave Holland Octet was more my taste. The octet featured the Dave Holland Quintet (Dave Holland-Bass, Steve Nelson-Vibes, Nate Smith-Drums, Chris Potter-Sax, and Robin Eubanks-Trombone) augmented with Antonio Hart on Alto Sax, Alex "Sasha" Sipiagin on Trumpet, and Gary Smulyan on Baritone Sax. All of these musicians also play in the Big Band, and so the set featured songs from these last two Grammy-winning albums.

The highlight of the evening IMHO was an extended improvisation on the song "What Goes Around" featuring Chris Potter being absolutely transcendent on tenor sax. As stated in a previous review, Potter never ceases to amaze and has demonstrated tremendous growth in the last year or two. His tenor soared above the fray, adding plenty of interest as he bisected the melody again and again. Robin Eubanks also provided some highlights on trombone; particularly when he traded licks with Smulyan on bari sax.

This group continues to blaze new ground and always proves entertaining. It was a great night!

LWayne :D