New John Peel compilation

ejp626

I was listening to the Andy Kershaw show, which has its roots in John Peel's approach, though more world music oriented, and he played an odd track off this new compilation of John Peel's favorite 78s (probably belongs here rather than re-issues). He had just about finished it up at the time of his death, and his wife Sheila wrote the liner notes. It's just coming out April 3. The Dusty Groove write-up is below with CD Universe info below that. This looks like something I will pick up.

Various -- John Peel & Sheila -- The Pig's Big 78s -- The Best Of John Peel's Vintage Record Collection . . . CD . . . $16.99

Trikont (Germany), 1910s-1950s Condition: New Copy

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in.

A half century's bounty of rare, strange and wonderful recordings -- from the personal collection of the world's greatest and most sadly departed DJ -- the legendary John Peel and his wife Sheila (aka The Pig)! The Pig's Big 78s features tracks from as early as the 1908 (!!!) to as late as the mid 50s -- strange novelty records from the times, proto rhythm & blues, jazz, hillbilly and wholly unique exotica -- wonderful recordings in the truest sense of the word -- most of which we'd have never heard in our lives without the John Peel show! 24 tracks in all: "Pass! Shoot!! Goal!!!" by Albert Whelan, "Blue Tango" by Ray Martin & His Orchestra, "Jail House Blues" by Lightnin' Hopkins, "Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula" by George Lewis & His New Orleans Music, "John, John Put Your Trousers On" by Mr Billy Williams, "Cast Iron Arm" by Peanuts Wilson, "Maybe" by Jack White & His Band, "Riff And Harmonica Jump" by Sonny Terry and much more!

CD Universe link

Track listing from CD Universe

1. A Brief Introduction

2. The Jovial Huntsman (Inc. John Peel)

3. Pass! Shoot!! Goal!!!

4. Blue Tango

5. Bradford

6. Jail House Blues

7. 1950 For Naming The Artists

8. Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula

9. John, John, Put Your Trousers On

10. Tom Hark

11. Gotta Feelin' For You

12. Unknown (Cantonese)

13. Cast Iron Arm

14. The Charleston

15. Impressions (Part 1 & 2)

16. (There Ought To Be) A Moonlight Saving Time

17. A Day’s Broadcasting (Part 1)

18. Maybe

19. Sleep

20. The Yodelling Whistler

21. My Brother Makes The Noises For The Talkies

22. On A Steamer Coming Over

23. Riff And Harmonica Jump

Not directly related but there was an article in one of the British newspapers several months ago about John Peel's collection of favourite 45's.

I read the list with great interest and eventually managed to scounge a download copy. I wondered if it has since found it's way onto cd in the United Kingdom ?

Any information would be most appeciated.

Edited by kinuta

Not directly related but there was an article in one of the British newspapers several months ago about John Peel's collection of favourite 45's.

I read the list with great interest and eventually managed to scounge a download copy. I wondered if it has since found it's way onto cd in the United Kingdom ?

Any information would be most appeciated.

It's a pretty good list, though too heavy on the White Stripes, which was his last major discovery Peel 45s. His son says that the White Stripes would have most likely been thinned out given a bit more time. There actually was a Channel 4 documentary about this, which I didn't see. I doubt it could be recreated, given licensing rights.

I am a bit inspired by the list to look into some of the R & B on the list, including Eddie & Ernie, whom I have never heard of previously. They appear on a few good compilations, including one called The Birth of Soul, vol. 2.