Andrew Hill discography

nmorin

That Jimmy Woods record sounds like it must be rather good. Will have to keep an eye out...

It's un-freaking-believable.

Oh, go ahead and say it -- cuz it's true -- that Jimmy Woods date is un-fucking believable.

Seriously, one of THE best dates I've bought in the last three years or so.

5-stars, with a money-back guarentee. :tup:tup

Not to denigrate Jimmy's (family-oriented?) grounds for 'retirement,' but that album--more than anything else--should have established him as a force to be reckoned with. Not that he was ever a powerhouse on the level of, say, Eric Dolphy, but he had a charm all his own--and he could certainly hold court with your Elvin Joneses, Andrew Hills, etc. Jimmy was a consummate inside/outside mind with a very warm sense of musicality... now, I'll be the one to ask: what the hell happened to this legend-in-the-making?

anyone know Hill's solo LP "California with Love" on Artists House?

I do. If you already have some solo Hill I don't suggest this is a priority. Put it this way - you'll know if you need to have this.

That said, I see it goes for reasonable prices. I'd caution against a sealed copy, as the rice paper inner sleeve which these AH LPs came in has a tendency to stick to the LP if stored under pressure.

I like Andrew Hill's solo outings and yes, I agree, this isn't one of the essential ones.

However, it's the only one of his recordings that I haven't been able to replace vinyl by CD. Does anyone know why this has never been given a CD release? Many of the other recordings on Artists House have been.

anyone know Hill's solo LP "California with Love" on Artists House?

I do. If you already have some solo Hill I don't suggest this is a priority. Put it this way - you'll know if you need to have this.

That said, I see it goes for reasonable prices. I'd caution against a sealed copy, as the rice paper inner sleeve which these AH LPs came in has a tendency to stick to the LP if stored under pressure.

But if you're into "collecting" (and we all are to some extent or the other), don't get a used copy unless it's got the booklet with it. Nothing really "essential", but it does have two lead sheets and a nice interview.