Andrew Hill discography

nmorin

Looking at the track list of the Andrew Hill Mosaic "The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66)", the first 43 songs are on the five RVG'd Andrew Hill CDs, which I own. I know the Mosaic set has been sold out for quite awhile; are these songs available anywhere else (such as Japanese versions of the original CDs)? Or, am I just out of luck until Blue Note decides get around to reissuing the original CDs--say, right after they put out a three-fer of Shorter's Moto Grosso Feio, Odyssey of Iska, and the unreleased October 13, 1970 session?

Just to recap the individual CD status (most recent issue) of every date on the Hill 63-66 Mosaic...

(See also http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Hill/index.html.)

Blue Note CD: 7243 5 96501 2 - Black Fire (2004, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 09463 37777 2 9 - Smokestack (2006, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 7243 5 63841 2 5 - Judgment! (2005, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 7243 4 99007 2 1 - Point Of Departure (1999, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 0946 3 11437 2 4 - Andrew!!! (2005, Conn)

February 10, 1965

Andrew Hill (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts), Freddie Hubbard (t), Andrew Hill (p), Richard Davis (b), Joe Chambers (d)

Scheduled to be released as Pax in June 2006. as part of the Connoisseur series (source)

Date: October 8, 1965

Andrew Hill (ldr), John Gilmore (bcl, ts), Freddie Hubbard (t, fh), Andrew Hill (p), Richard Davis, Cecil McBee (b), Joe Chambers (d), Nadi Qamar (cga, kal, per), Renaud Simmons [aka Samuel Humphreys] (cga)

Blue Note LP 12": BST 84217 - Compulsion!!!!!

Note: not yet released as a single CD anywhere in the world.

Date: March 7, 1966

Andrew Hill (ldr), Sam Rivers (ts), Andrew Hill (p, cel), Walter Booker (b), J. C. Moses (d)

Blue Note LP 12": BN-LA 453-H2 - Involution (first released as part of a 2-LP set under Sam Rivers name)

I think we'll see the last two dates (above) released as Conns sometime within the next 2-5 years.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just to recap the individual CD status (most recent issue) of every date on the Hill 63-66 Mosaic...

(See also http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Hill/index.html.)

Blue Note CD: 7243 5 96501 2 - Black Fire (2004, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 09463 37777 2 9 - Smokestack (2006, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 7243 5 63841 2 5 - Judgment! (2005, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 7243 4 99007 2 1 - Point Of Departure (1999, RVG)

Blue Note CD: 0946 3 11437 2 4 - Andrew!!! (2005, Conn)

February 10, 1965

Andrew Hill (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts), Freddie Hubbard (t), Andrew Hill (p), Richard Davis (b), Joe Chambers (d)

Scheduled to be released as Pax in June 2006. as part of the Connoisseur series (source)

Date: October 8, 1965

Andrew Hill (ldr), John Gilmore (bcl, ts), Freddie Hubbard (t, fh), Andrew Hill (p), Richard Davis, Cecil McBee (b), Joe Chambers (d), Nadi Qamar (cga, kal, per), Renaud Simmons [aka Samuel Humphreys] (cga)

Blue Note LP 12": BST 84217 - Compulsion!!!!!

Date: March 7, 1966

Andrew Hill (ldr), Sam Rivers (ts), Andrew Hill (p, cel), Walter Booker (b), J. C. Moses (d)

Blue Note LP 12": BN-LA 453-H2 - Involution (first released as part of a 2-LP set under Sam Rivers name)

I think we'll see the last two dates (above) released as Conns sometime within the next 2-5 years.

The above + Dance With Death, Passing Ships & The Mosaic Select would then cover everything Hill recorded in his first sojourn for Blue Note. Eternal Spirit, But Not Farewell & the new Time Lines come later. Is that correct??

The above + Dance With Death, Passing Ships & The Mosaic Select would then cover everything Hill recorded in his first sojourn for Blue Note. Eternal Spirit, But Not Farewell & the new Time Lines come later. Is that correct??

You would also need Grass Roots (1969) and Lift Every Voice (1970).

Right - & I do. :D:P

Right - & I do. :D:P

:o Well, get on it then!! :P;):D

And don't forget about his Blue Note sideman appearances:

• Joe Henderson Our Thing
  • Hank Mobley No Room For Squares
  • Bobby Hutcherson Dialogue

Thanks for the info on the Mosaic, Rooster. I finally found a used copy awhile back, and I'm very glad I bought it. The unreleased portions (Compulsion, Involution, and the "Pax" session) are among my favorites on the box. In fact, I tend to listen to those sessions more than Andrew! and Smokestack.

Slightly off topic, this thread got me wondering what else is out there (sideman appearances, etc) that I didn't have yet. This may have already been mentioned on the board, but the Spiral LP, in its entirety, is available for downloading (160k MP3s) at Andrew's website.

I'm also interested in Jimmy Woods Conflict: Jimmy Woods (as), Harold Land (ts), Carmell Jones (t), Andrew Hill (p), George Tucker (b), Elvin Jones (d). Any comments on this one?

Other sideman appearances worth checking out:

Reggie Workman - Summit Conference

Greg Osby - The Invisible Hand

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Domino

Also - don't discount Hill's post Blue Note recordings. I realize it is not the prevailing opinion, but IMO recordings such as Shades are as satisfying as anything Hill recorded on Blue Note.

I didn't mean I need Grass Roots & Lift Every Voice.

I meant I have them. :blush::blink::P

:tup :rsmile:

Ronald, thanks for the sideman recommendations. I don't have any of the three you listed, but I'll be looking for them. I already have Shades, and agree that it is very nice, comparable to his Blue Note dates.

Also, thanks very much for the work on the Hill discography! :cool:

What's the difference between the Mosaic Select and the Mosaic box set ? Complete subset? Partial subset? No intersection?

Grounds for bannination?

Edit: If not, then surely it must be time to update the rules and regs around here, no? ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

' Homage' (East-West) is a really great solo set and most highly recommended, if you can find it, which I doubt.

It was recently reissued here in the states, along with the other two Hill "East-West" dates (the other two are trio dates). Not all that hard to find nowadays, actually.

That Jimmy Woods record sounds like it must be rather good. Will have to keep an eye out...

It's un-freaking-believable.

Oh, go ahead and say it -- cuz it's true -- that Jimmy Woods date is un-fucking believable.

Seriously, one of THE best dates I've bought in the last three years or so.

5-stars, with a money-back guarentee. :tup:tup

anyone know Hill's solo LP "California with Love" on Artists House?

I do. If you already have some solo Hill I don't suggest this is a priority. Put it this way - you'll know if you need to have this.

That said, I see it goes for reasonable prices. I'd caution against a sealed copy, as the rice paper inner sleeve which these AH LPs came in has a tendency to stick to the LP if stored under pressure.

Edited by David Ayers