**Black Sabbath Coven**

Shawn

It's interesting you mentioned the Ian Gillan thing....

Even though that band was put together and mandated by Warner Bros (Black Sabbath+Ian Gillan)...the actual Born Again album seems to be improving with age. I've always liked the record, thought Trashed & Zero The Hero were a couple of Tony's best riffs in quite awhile. The LP always sounded terrible, they just recently put out a remaster of this that sounds "almost" good. Anyway, Gillan brings a completely unique presence to the entire thing...especially since he's SO over the top on the entire album. He sounded like he was struggling to fit his voice into the Sabbath sound...but that tension actually HELPS the record. Plus Ozzy (nor Dio) could have pulled off a track like Born Again, I think Tony & Ian really clicked...too bad it was a one shot deal.

I have a bootleg of a different mix of the Born Again album. Gillan's vocals are much more upfront and some of the vocal tracks are different. Zero the Hero in particular is still a work in progress vocally but the music is pretty much the same. I agree the riffs on the first two Dio Sabbath albums are good, especially Heaven and Hell.

• 9 months later...

I love Sabbath, but I have to admit that the more I study Hendrix (through my guitar lessons) the more I've come to the conclusion that Sabbath really just lifted all the least interesting/easiest to play parts from his songs*. But Sabbath was the first band I really got into (at five years old, no less), so I can't help but love them. I was suspended from first grade for a day or two for drawing their logo on my homework. They called in my mother to discuss my alleged Santanist interests (dude, I was six!).

*I would say the same about the White Stripes and Zeppelin, but that would be getting off topic. Oops, too late :).

• 4 years later...

Black Sabbath announce new album, 2012 world tour

(Reuters) - Veteran British rock band Black Sabbath announced on Friday they are reuniting in their original four man line-up for their first new album in 33 years and a 2012 world tour.

Singer Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi, bass player Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward told a news conference at legendary Sunset Strip club Whisky a Go Go they would perform at the Download Festival in England in June 2012, and then embark on a world tour.

The band, which first got together under the Black Sabbath name in 1969, said they were working on new material for the album for release in the fall of 2012. There is no title as yet but it will be produced by Rick Rubin.

tony-iommi-iron-man-197x300.jpg

Gibson Exclusive: Tony Iommi Talks Black Sabbath – Past, Present and Future?

Tony Iommi recently published his must-read memoirs, Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven And Hell with Black Sabbath. It contains some near-unbelievable stories: drugs, the Mafia, knife fights, Iommi setting fire to Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward, killing Virgin mogul Richard Branson’s prize carp fish with Sabbath pyrotechnics, that Spinal Tap-inspiring Stonehenge stage set, even auditioning Michael Bolton as Black Sabbath singer (true!) … and, of course, all the guaranteed craziness you’d expect from a band involving Ozzy Osbourne.
Edited by 7/4

I had completely forgotten about this thread. LOL.

The Iommi book I'm definitely going to purchase, he's one of the most important and influential musicians (to me) and it's a must-read.

Re: the reunion album/tour.

I'm really excited that Iommi, Geezer & Bill Ward are going to be playing together again...but Ozzy? He's too far over the hill to be at all convincing, his recent albums have been auto-tuned garbage without a lick of substance to them. I really don't think he has anything left in the tank. Now he could surprise us I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would have been more interested in either a reunion with Ian Gillan...or maybe someone like Glenn Hughes.

I had completely forgotten about this thread. LOL.

The Iommi book I'm definitely going to purchase, he's one of the most important and influential musicians (to me) and it's a must-read.

Re: the reunion album/tour.

I'm really excited that Iommi, Geezer & Bill Ward are going to be playing together again...but Ozzy? He's too far over the hill to be at all convincing, his recent albums have been auto-tuned garbage without a lick of substance to them. I really don't think he has anything left in the tank. Now he could surprise us I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would have been more interested in either a reunion with Ian Gillan...or maybe someone like Glenn Hughes.

I read the book yesterday while I was waiting for the phone to ring, work is jerking me around a bit lately. I really enjoyed the book.

Looking forward to the album, I'm curious what it'll sound like. Yes to Ian Gillan or Glenn Hughes!

• 1 month later...

"With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan--the “IRON MAN” of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery."

http://www.iommi.com/index.php?story=151

• 1 year later...

Congratulations to Black Sabbath for scoring their first #1 album on Billboard, 43 years into their career! They also snagged the #1 album in the UK for the first time since November 1970, setting a record for the longest gap between #1 albums.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1567354/black-sabbath-earns-first-no-1-album-on-billboard-200-chart

510gRIX6xfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Is Ozzy's voice autotuned like mad on that? I hope they at least drench his voice in chorus or something.

No. In fact it's probably the driest recording that Ozzy has done since the 80s. Rick Rubin forced Ozzy to record the vocals live with the band playing. Overall the best performance I've heard from him in years.