Can-Am Storage Units

Indestructible!

Hi All,

I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge on a couple of 3-drawer storage units from Can-Am... but before I do, I thought I'd solicit a little advice from those who own (or have owned) them.

The "search" function on the board is a little trippy right now, but I was able to come up with the following (semi-related) discussion: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16885

Basically, I'm going to buy them unless someone else can talk me into something better. Some questions I have for y'all would be:

1.) How do you like your Can-Am unit?

2.) Had any problem with them at all?

3.) Any suggestions on the color? What color do you have, and how does it look?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi All,

I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge on a couple of 3-drawer storage units from Can-Am... but before I do, I thought I'd solicit a little advice from those who own (or have owned) them.

The "search" function on the board is a little trippy right now, but I was able to come up with the following (semi-related) discussion: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16885

Basically, I'm going to buy them unless someone else can talk me into something better. Some questions I have for y'all would be:

1.) How do you like your Can-Am unit?

2.) Had any problem with them at all?

3.) Any suggestions on the color? What color do you have, and how does it look?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Cheers,

Shane

I have several of them. I think they are worth the $ for a number of reasons. You can stack them and put your actual gear on top (you can either buy the laminate top or make your own). They are strong and sturdy - never had any problem with any of the mechanisms. On color, mine are black - they look sharp!

Here is a second for taking the plunge (though admittedly they have raised their prices since I last purchased one).

My oldest is nearing-- what eight years-- and has been fantastic. No cosmetic issues, locks still work, and absolutely no complaints outside of the cost for me to buy my dearly needed fourth cabinet. The only possible issue I have ever been concerened with is the total weight in one specific area (I live on the third floor of an appartment) so I have always placed them in the most secure area of the apt (at least I hope!). It would suck seeing the floor bend beneath the weght.

Superb cabinets. Make sure to order the row dividers as well to keep it looking crisp and clean.

----

Edit after reading the linked old thread:

If people are concerned about the floor space or size of these cabinets, I find it almost laughable that some people find fault with the can-am cabinets. I house over 2000 albums in a space of 37-3/4" Wide by 55-1/2" High by 20" Deep. Before I had rack after rack of cds in various locations. And If I was to put up shelves along my wall, nothing else would occupy any wall space. Besides, I perfer a clean, organized, look. I find I am getting neater and neater as I get older.

Edited by wordsandsounds

I loved mine. I say loved because I still have them, only they are now empty sitting in my garage. I sold most of my collection years ago to finance my bachelors degree.

If anyone is near Nashville and is interested in some used forest green can-ams, let me know! They are a little dinged here and there, but in relatively good shape.

i own six three drawer units in graphite that sit on top of casters and under a cabinet top (with photographs and lighting on the countertop). since i love them so much, i hardly have any remaining perspective, but every person who sees them as a component of an understated and well-designed home office rave to no end about them.

i would see black as too generic and difficult to keep clean and dist-free, showing their age in the not too distant future. any other color would be too obtrusive. sure, i thought, fire engine red would look tricky for a year or two, or while i'm in this home, but using it to perserve my collection for decades isn't as consistent or decoratively flexible as graphite.

one last thing, when researching and purchasing my units, i really had no real or concrete (pardon the pun) understading of just exactly how heavy they are when fully (or even mostly) loaded. once during a remodel project, a friend and i tried to move them. after all, they are on casters. that was a bad mistake as two of the casters actually buckled under themselves from the sheer weight. common sense advise: move while empty. otherwise, these units are the gold standard in media storage.

-e-

Hi All,

Thanks for all the glowing recommendations! It looks like I'll be placing an order with them on Friday for two 3-drawer units. I'm thinking of going with the Silver (though not the glossy silver... as cool as I think that looks now, that probably won't play out in a year or two), and I'll make sure to include the dividers as well!

Thanks again to all who responded. And, once again, this board has found a way for me to part with my money!!!

Cheers,

Shane

i would see black as too generic and difficult to keep clean and dust-free, showing their age in the not too distant future.

Mine are all black and have no issue with staying clean and lean looking. Like owning a black car, you just have to dust/wash it somewhat regularly.

Shane, you will dig the cabinets. But have a friend help you move them!

Edited by wordsandsounds