Jazz Rock super group coming to San Francisco

Hi folks,

I just got the word from the promoter that put the show together and

The Virgil Donati Band is coming to San Fransisco June 11th.

Details:

Virgil Donati Band

Virgil Donati (Drums)

Rufus Philpot (Bass)

Mitchel Forman (Keyboards)

Tony MacAlpine (Guitar)

June 11th

Red Devil Lounge

1965 Polk Street

San Francisco

8p-10p

Tickets available at Ticket Web

$20.00

21 and older only

If you visit http://www.jazzrockworld.com you can print a coupon for

$5.00 off the ticket price at the door.

Hope to see you all there!!!

Rick Calic

www.jazzrockworld.com

supergroup? i must be out of it, since i never heard of any of these guys except for forman.

Tony MacAlpine is one of those late '80's guitar heros that showwed up in the wake of Steve Vai. I think he did much hyped trio with Stanley Clarke a few years ago. He's one of three guitar players in Steve Vai's touring band.

eh... :eye::eye:

Edited by 7/4

I don't want to sound defensive, but here goes:

Virgil Donati is a world class drummer (I saw him with CAB last year and he's pretty amazing)

Mtchel Forman is of course Mitchel Forman and played with John McLaughlin

Tony MacAlpine is a a shredder type guitarist and played with Planet X

Rufus Philpot has played with the SKG (Scott Kinsey Group) and Planet X

Yes, I took liberties with "super group" to help promote the show.

The promoter is Music-East West.

The main significance of this concert is the fact that these musicians all play regularly in Los Angeles, tour EU, Japan, etc. and rarely come north to San Francisco.

Bay Area Jazz Rock fans are spread far and wide on the Internet and have no real community locally.

I apologize to Organissimo for such a blatant plug, and was only thinking there may be other Jazz Rock fans here from SF (besides me) that would have missed the opportunity to see this show otherwise.

I appreciate your understanding.

Rick

Virgil Donati is a world class drummer (I saw him with CAB last year and he's pretty amazing)

cool man. this is sickness. i've seen all these cats. forman kills ...

and it's not at noshis. no factory processing of my evening thank you.

i'll show.

The main significance of this concert is the fact that these musicians all play regularly in Los Angeles, tour EU, Japan, etc. and rarely come north to San Francisco.

Bay Area Jazz Rock fans are spread far and wide on the Internet and have no real community locally.

I apologize to Organissimo for such a blatant plug, and was only thinking there may be other Jazz Rock fans here from SF (besides me) that would have missed the opportunity to see this show otherwise.

Rick

I saw Virgil Donati at a multi artist drum clinic and was not at all impressed. His solo had absolutely no musical value and was instead a macho display of how fast and loud a drumkit (with double bass drum pedals of course) can be played. He displayed no sense of composition, phrasing, or any dynamics in his solo. It makes me wonder if this guy can actually play in a rhythm section without overplaying everybody else. I could stand only about 12 minutes of his fierce display and walked out with ringing ears..

In my opinion, Donati's approach to drums is like it's an ego driven competitive sport, and I was equally turned off by his narcissistic "I'm too hip for the room" attitude and heard from others later that he was not real friendly with the other clinicians or the drum shop employees who were there to help set up and assist the clinicians. Now I'm not dissing drummers with a more drumnastic approach. There are drummers with dazzling chops like Steve Smith, Chad Whackerman, Simon Philips, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Coliato, and Dom Famularo who are genuinely great players and clinicians and are nice guys as well.

Sorry Rick, even if I lived in SF, you couldn't pay me to go to a Virgil Donati show..

Edited by randissimo

His solo had absolutely no musical value and was instead a macho display of how fast and loud a drumkit (with double bass drum pedals of course) can be played.

absolutely no musical value ? dude, what's he supposed to do now ? get into the meat tenderizing business ?

Rick

...what/who is CAB?

His solo had absolutely no musical value and was instead a macho display of how fast and loud a drumkit (with double bass drum pedals of course) can be played.

absolutely no musical value ? dude, what's he supposed to do now ? get into the meat tenderizing business ?

Dude, he wouldn't just tenderize the meat, he would pulverize into tiny shredded pieces !! So what if he can play 32nd note triplets relentlessly on a double bass drum pedal at 180 beats per minute?? I like drummers who think musically when they comp behind a solo, trade bars, solo, or play fills... Drummers who know how to listen, have chops to spare , but can play tastefully and know when to leave space.. To me that's musical value, it's not about who's the fastest or the loudest!

Listen Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Dennis Chambers, or Billy Cobbham with the Mahavishnu if you want to hear some dazzling jazz rock drumming!

Peace out

Edited by randissimo

Listen Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Dennis Chambers, or Billy Cobbham with the Mahavishnu if you want to hear some dazzling jazz rock drumming!

sure, everything's relative. my faves currently with us include Kilson, Stewart, DeJohnnette to name a few i've seen live somewhat recently.

but Donati wouldn't be making a living playing music if there was no musical value to his playing.

it's like saying Slash is a bogus guitarist. sure, onstage with McLaughlin, Sco, Frisell, Metheny, Eubanks, Stern, Seeger ... or, take a younger age group, say, Hunter, Krasno, Moreno, Rogers, Bernard, ... Slash probably wouldn't fare too well.

but Slash in his element, can any of the above touch him ?

i think not.

maybe Vai ... a cat like that, could do some damage ...

Edited by baltostar

sure, everything's relative. my faves currently with us include Kilson, Stewart, DeJohnnette to name a few i've seen live somewhat recently.

it's like saying Slash is a bogus guitarist. sure, onstage with McLaughlin, Sco, Frisell, Metheny, Eubanks, Stern, Seeger ... or, take a younger age group, say, Hunter, Krasno, Moreno, Rogers, Bernard, ... Slash probably wouldn't fare too well.

but Slash in his element, can any of the above touch him ?

i think not.

maybe Vai ... a cat like that, could do some damage ...

but Donati wouldn't be making a living playing music if there was no musical value to his playing.

Guys like Donati are "Chopzillas" , pyrotechnic freaks with superchops and are naturally big hits with the drum companies who eagerly sign them up for endorsements with lots of magazine hype, and whether the drummer(s) has any real musical value is typically not all that important. The drum companies are more interested in a flashy image to help sell their products to lots of young drummers who are easily taken in by the hype of who is the fastest, flashiest, and loudest,,,, This really turns me off because too many drum companies and magazines promote these "Drumslingers" ,, sending the message that drumming is a competitive sport..

I have heard many of the best drummers around the planet, known and unknown over the past 35 years, and for me it's not really about how much drumnastic flash a drummer can cram into a groove, solo, or an 8 bar section, it's about how the drummer puts his skills together; Does he listen and tastefully interact with the music and musicians he is playing with? Does he play in the style of the music being played? A technical and rudimental background is essential but can get out of hand at times. I have friends who can play dazzling solos but can't sit in a rhythm section without overplaying and overstating every little accent in every tune.

You mention 3 of my favorites.. Kilson, Stewart, and DeJohnette are 3 drummers who have amazing chops, know when to leave space, always play for the music (and tastefully) as well as lots of emotional fire and imagination, and most importantly know how to listen and play with sensitivity. I saw Simon Philips do a clinic last year and was blown away! He has truly amazing chops and has obviously spent lots of time studying, practicing, listening, and has developed his skills to a very high level, and I'm sure can play anything Donati can play. He played a great solo that had composition and also demonstrated his ability to play many different styles of music including straight ahead jazz. I thought he was a rock player and was delighted when he did a whole segment on straight ahead playing, and talked and demonstrated the styles of drummers like Philly Joe, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, and Tony Williams!

I saw Simon Philips do a clinic last year and was blown away! He has truly amazing chops and has obviously spent lots of time studying, practicing, listening, and has developed his skills to a very high level, and I'm sure can play anything Donati can play. He played a great solo that had composition and also demonstrated his ability to play many different styles of music including straight ahead jazz. I thought he was a rock player and was delighted when he did a whole segment on straight ahead playing, and talked and demonstrated the styles of drummers like Philly Joe, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, and Tony Williams!

Wow! I never knew...

I saw Simon Philips do a clinic last year and was blown away! He has truly amazing chops and has obviously spent lots of time studying, practicing, listening, and has developed his skills to a very high level, and I'm sure can play anything Donati can play. He played a great solo that had composition and also demonstrated his ability to play many different styles of music including straight ahead jazz. I thought he was a rock player and was delighted when he did a whole segment on straight ahead playing, and talked and demonstrated the styles of drummers like Philly Joe, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, and Tony Williams!

Wow! I never knew...

I really enjoyed that clinic. Simon is a great drummer and a genuinely nice person and gave a lot of useful tips and exercises during his clinic.