Gerald Wilson Orch. on Excelsior 78s

---found this 78- he wanted 5 bucks for it, that was not too bad for me, but id rather get some trader joes so i didnt get it, but i was wondering what the personel info is for this since i love west coast jazz

they also had a really neat shelly man septet 78 on some yellow label and it had pepper/cooper/candoli and i think stu willimson on tb. but he wanted 15 for that.

also found a really good anita o'day 78 "key largo" which sounded very lovely but wanted 20 for that- and 25 for all the coleman hawkins 78s too....how the hell he makes money w/ 40,000 78s if they are 20 bucks a piece is beyond me---

What are the titles on the Gerald Wilson 78? I have the Classics CD, which contains most (if not all) of the Excelsior releases, and can list the personnel for you if you post the titles. Can tell you right now that Hobart Dotson and Snooky Young are probably in the trumpet section and that Melba Liston is on trombone.

dont remember but the b side was a vocal-

and really i just wanted to know the piano and sax players......espically the sax players at this time?

For Moonrise/Synthetic Joe, Top of the Hill/Puerto Rican Breakdown, and Just One of Those Things/Just Give Me a Man:

piano-Jimmy Bunn

alto sax-Edward Hale, Floyd Turnham

tenor sax-Vernon Slater, Olis West

baritone sax-Charles Waller

For Yenta/Come Sunday, Love Me a Long, Long Time/I Don't Know What That Is, Groovin' High/I've Got a Right to Sing the Blues, You Better Change Your Way of Lovin'/Skip the Gutter, and I'll String Along With You/Ain't It a Drag:

piano-Jimmy Bunn

alto sax-Leo Trammel, Floyd Turnham

tenor sax-Vernon Slater, Eddie Davis ( NOT Lockjaw)

baritone sax-Maurice Simon

All of those dates from 1945, according to Classics.

Edited by ghost of miles