PARIS RECOMMENDATIONS, PLEASE!

jazzkrow

Bonjours B) (That's the extent of my French..)

I'm going to Paris for 10 days (Aug. 21-31) to attend the World Championships of Track & Field (my other passion besides jazz) and will have my days free since the track events are late afternoon-evening.

Can anyone out there help with recommendations for record stores, jazz clubs, and inexpensive restaurants??

I'll be staying in district 7 for the first 7 days (near the Eiffel Tower and Rodin Museum) and in Montmartre (District 18) the last 4 days. I plan on doing a lot of walking during the days and would love to check out the cities jazz offerings as well as visiting a new part of town everyday!

Plus my budget requires cheap restaurants-my "big" meal will be lunch everyday as I will be in the stadium (Stade de France) during most evenings.

I imagine most of the jazz record stores will be in the Latin Quarter/Left Bank?? If they are lot more spendy than the States, I probably won't buy much but it would be fun to buy one or two...

Any help appreciated! I'll buy a beer for anyone who lives there and wouldn't mind a bit of company! :g

-Jeff/ jazzkrow

Jazzkrow. The Paris stores situation has been debated in a previous thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...42&hl=cd+stores

Not sure that you will be able to make the jazz clubs scenes if you're in Paris for

the track and field championships because many of the best events will be held

in the evening, except on the two weekends.

Will try to find out who will be playing in Paris by then.

Doubt that you will have time to explore the restaurant scene but I have a recommendation if you're in the 7th district area. You should not be very far from the best boulangerie in town (and probably anywhere in the world). The name is Poujaurand, the adress is 20 rue Jean Nicot.

That's in the 7th district too.

You can't miss it: it's a pink colored old style boulangerie. It's cheap. Best bread in town,

great croissants and various pastries. Also great sandwiches (you can stock up for the evening).

Don't go there in the first days of your stay. They're closed for the holidays season. But they reopen on Tuesday August 26. Bon appetit!

Edited by brownie

Paris Jazz Corner is in the latin quarter - address is in the previous link. V. close to Jussieu Jazz. You can do PJC, Crocojazz, Jussieu Jazz and OCD in a couple of hours if you move fast..

If Jazzkrow can make all these shops in two hours and view all the stuff available there,

he might as well enter the 5,000-meter race at the World track and field championships.

He could win a medal!

And he'd miss Gibert Musique on the Boulevard Saint-Michel. Really worth a visit!

Paris Jazz Corner adress is 5 rue de Navarre, in the 5th district. Very close to Jussieu Jazz.Take a peek at: http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/

THANKS for all your help, Brownie!

I checked out Paris Jazz Corner website-lots of goodies-but 12-15+ Euro for used ("second hand" was terminology they used) sounds a bit steep-BUT I know I'll have to buy something!

Sounds like at least one complete day to hit all the stores in district 5.

I can hardly wait!

Do you-or any of our members live in Paris?

If so drop me a line, offsite if you want to hook up for a beer!

Only 14 more days.....Incredible

Brownie, unfortunately it is possible to do these stores in 2hrs but this means ignoring the vinyl, leaping whole sections and making some pretty snap decisions - helped along by a kind and generous but increasingly impatient girlfriend....

On another trip to PJC I came out after spending an hour in there to be told by my girlfriend (who had been sitting on the step taking in the sunshine) that she'd seen a bunch of topless but body painted female models taking a cigarette break outside a studio opposite, thought about coming to tell me (I said she was kind) but looked back into the shop and thought I looked so happy sifting through the stock that she decided not to disturb me !

Jason, I have given up a very long time ago bringing my wife along when I go record-hunting.

It has to be one or the other. No mix.

Surprised you did not advise your girlfriend to take a stroll around the park across the

street from PJC.

The park is the Arenes de Lutece, a Roman (and romantic) garden with a pretty well

preserved Roman arena. One of the little-known treasures of Paris.

• 3 weeks later...