Virginia Mayhew - Phantoms

relyles

Picked this one up based solely on the recommendation of a friend and gave it an initial listen. Impressed with my introduction to Mayhew's artistry. The disc features Mayhew on tenor and soprano saxophone, Ingrid Jensen trumpet and flugelhorn, Harvie S - bass and Allison Miller - drums and percussion. The disc has a nice mix of standards and originals with an overall contemplative mood. Despite the introspective nature of much of the disc there is enough variety so that the disc does not get bogged down in its own seriousness. There are fresh arrangements of the standard material that hold your interest and put a personal stamp on the interpretations. Comparisions to the sound of the Ornette Coleman quartet are not far flung, but this is by no means an avant garde recording. It does not sound like Coleman's classic quartet, but there is a subtle Ornette type vibe, or edge that appealed to me. The musicians play controlled, logical solos throughout. Mayhew has a full and smooth sound on the tenor. Jensen is very impressive and Miller's rhythmic patterns are dancelike at any tempo. Harvey S. has a deep bass sound and anchors the rhythm well.

All in all a very pleasant initial contact and I am looking forward to investigating this disc further.

Edited by relyles

• 2 weeks later...

I had the extreme pleasure to hear much of this album performed live when Virginia and Allison appeared in Anchorage this past winter. What an experience! I was hip to Virginia, but this new recording is chock full of wonderful nuances, rhythmic surprises and simply fine writing and musicianship. What they do with Rhythm-A-Ning, for example, is nothing short of genius, in my estimation.

Virginia takes no prisoners when engaged in uptempo challenges, but has such breadth ... She's definitely no flash-in-the-pan.

Allison Miller blew me away. What a breath of fresh air. And, very easy on the eyes, I might add. Virginia's not exactly chopped liver, either.

I might also add that meeting and talking with them after the concert was equally refreshing ... each articulate, sensitive, humble, warm and engaging ladies.

Here's a photo I took of Allison after the gig. And, a link to her website. Hey, I'm a drummer.

http://www.allisonmiller.com/

Edited by Ron Thorne