Favorite Tom Harrell album

Alon Marcus

Tom Harrell  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like all 14 of the Tom Harrell CDs I own, plus the LPs that haven't made it to CD.

I would like to point out that there are two different Tom Harrell CDs titled Sail Away.

The poll probably refers to the Contemporary/OJC title, while the import released by Musidisc

and out of print is a 1991 date with pianist Kenny Werner, bassist Paul Imm and drummer Andre

Ceccarelli. The songs: Yestedays; Sail Away; Graititude; Glass Mystery; Coral Sea; Buffalo Wings;

Sticky Wicket, with all being Harrell's songs, except for Jerome Kern's "Yesterdays" and Kenny Werner's "Sticky Wicket."

It's a strong release as well.

A lot of sideman dates from the 70s have some of his best work and even some of his tunes:

Ronnie Cuber: 7th Day of Acquarius (Open Air)

Harold Danko; Coincidence

Bill Evans: We Will Meet Again

Phil Woods: Live in NY

Horace Silver: Silver 'n' series

Bob Berg: New Birth

For Tom's leader albums I like the smaller label stuff better:

Passages

Stories

Form

Total (his first recording done in '79 or '76. Originall called Aurora. Rerealeased under current title on Pinnacle.

Produced by the late Arnie Lawrence Great record)

Play of Light

Sail Away

The best RCA I thought was Labyrinth. His solo on "Hot Licks on the Sidewalk" is beutiful. Nice writing. Art of Rhythm is good too, nmore for the ensemble writing than his playing IMO