Art Farmer and the Orchestra

Peter Johnson

Being an admitted Art Farmer newbie, I recently picked this record up from Conn 5000 (thanks, Paul!). I absolutely love the session, and the charts are in ways unmistakeably have Oliver Nelson's touch, but after a couple of listens, I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind..."what does this remind me of?"

Zzzzzzap! Miles Ahead, in a big way. To the extent that, to my ears, it could have been a pre- or sequel.

Does anyone else hear this? Which came first, Gil's or Oliver's charting style? And...is this a pathetically novice question to ask?

I guess I'm just curious about the extent to which these guys were listening to each other's stuff. I just can't get over how "Miles-like" Farmer's tone/runs/solos are on this, and how "Gil-like" Nelson's charts are...but...for those of you who've made studies of these, should it really be the other way around?

These are the speculations of an amateur, but I would think that Gil Evans had established his arranging style by the time Nelson entered the scene. Of course he might have done some arranging prior to that, but the first recording featuring Nelson arrangements is from 1960:

http://www.dougpayne.com/on51-66.htm

I think Nelson's charts for the Farmer album are among his best.