Richard Bock and his edits

monkboughtlunch

What I've never really GOT is, granted the licensee bears the risk, but there seems to be money in it. So why don't the majors go for themselves rather than allow these small firms to issue the material?

Or am I wrong? Perhaps these little firms are all owned by eccentric millionaires who don't mind losing money on their hobby (and taking a tax loss).

I'm sure Chuck can shed some light on this. Small companies like Mighty Quinn have low overhead, compared to a major label with a large staff and a distribution network to support. Sales of 1000-2000 pieces just isn't profitable for them, but it can be for a small company which may be little more than a one man operation.

So does that mean there could be a Chew-Chew-Chewy-Beanie Records in our future? :unsure:

From the late Bill Perkins's fascinating Nov. 1995 Cadence interview: "...when I got off the road in 1968 with Stan Kenton, [Dick Bock] hired me. I was remarried, acquired two children, and one more on the way, and I worked for Dick as sort of a go-fer, and he taught me how to edit, which is a great thing because he was, god bless his soul, a terrible tape editor. (Laughs)."

Sorry -- that should be "...when I got off the road in 1958..."