New York live.

Dmitry

My mom was at Iridium for the Ahmad Jamal performance. She said he was showing signs of dimensia. Does anyone know anything about this? It didn't seem to affect his piano playing, but his interaction with the crowd was very spacey.

James Cammack played bass. She spoke with him for a while. My brother is a bassist, so the whole family has become bass fans! ha.

Idris Muhammad played drums. She wasn't too excited by him, for whatever reason. I would think that he would have been one of the highlights!

She is more a fan of Jamal's early music than the recent stuff, which is understandable.

Dmitry,

I haven't been to Iridium yet. What do you not like about it?

I ended up getting into the city late and caught the last 30-45 minutes of the Palmieri gig. Pretty good if you don't mind your jazz leaning heavily to the salsa side. Should have gone to the Vanguard last night but ended up skipping it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll make it again some weekend now that fares from Boston are down to $10!

It's the Chinatown bus, the best-kept secret in New York and Boston. I think it was started as a service to the Chinese communities, but the buses are usually much more well-maintained than you would expect. Used to cost 20 bucks one way but Peter Pan or Greyhound started dropping their fares to compete, so they lowered their own fare to 10. Leaves every hour on the hour from one Chinatown and drops you in the other.

September 9-14 looks like a great week to be a jazz fan in New York. You have Cedar Walton with Curtis Fuller and Gary Bartz at the Jazz Standard, Freddie Hubbard and the New Jazz Composers Octet at the Iridium and Pharoah Sanders and Kenny Garrett together at the Blue Note.

Big Wheel, thanks for the Chinatown bus tip. I'm going to use it in a couple of weeks.

You're welcome. The bus company I prefer is Travel Pack: http://www.travelpackusa.com . The Fung Wah company is also good. You can catch both of these around the intersection of the Bowery and Canal St. The Fung Wah ticket office is right on the intersection and can't be missed, the Travel Pack window is a block or so north on the Bowery. If you can't find it, chances are if you are standing around there looking confused, there will be a guy who will see you and point you in the right direction. That's what happened to me last time, anyway. Both buses leave from right around the corner (I think it's Hester St.).

Are you coming to Boston for business or for pleasure? There are some great shows coming up in September.

So Dmitry,

If you went to see the Paul Motian Trio, give us your review, please.

For the risk of being overly enthusiastic I'd say that yesterday music was worthy of the "State of the Tenor" treatment.

Number one -- Simply breath-taking playing by Lovano. He ruled yesterday, with child's audacious inventiveness, Vulcan's power and Solomon's mind.

Frisell's playing is akin to Fripp's in a way that one can come back to it again and again, finding things that were not perceived at first. There were so many nuances coming out of his axe that it was almost impossible to imbibe everything on the spot.

Paul Motian weaved a rhythmic web so tight that Lovano and Frisell had no chance but to play the way they did yesterday.

But enough pontificating. Let's just say that I would buy a boxed set of this 2-week engagement in a heart-beat.

Jazz Gods have smiled upon us. Another week of this magic is ahead. I can't wait to go back to the Vanguard for more!

Edited by Dmitry

Will a review from a visiting Beantowner do? Overall, it was a good show. I'm a big fan of Jeremy Pelt and Stefon Harris, and they both played brilliantly. I was somewhat disappointed by Gary Bartz, who I think may be past his prime. I had a similar reaction to his performance with Sphere earlier this year. I would have preferred to see Oliver Lake in Bartz's role. I think he would have made a more solid and Dolphy-inspired contribution to this fine tribute band.

While I was in town, I also caught Peter Bernstein with Brad Mehldau at Smoke and the Toshiko Akiyoshi Orchestra at Birdland. Both shows were excellent. I've already got tickets for Akiyoshi's Carnegie Hall concert in October. Who else is going?!? :excited:

Edited by jazzshrink

jazzshrink, I'm green with Bostonian envy.  How was Mehldau?  I think his duet record with Joel Frahm is out (or is finally coming out).

i enjoyed mehldau a lot. i confess that i'm not familiar with a lot of his work, but i'll certainly be investigating his music in the future. the band as a whole worked quite well together, and of course, bill stewart is always great to see live.

btw, i checked out the times article on the dolphy project. despite the glowing review, specific mention of the quality of bartz's contribution was conspicuously absent.

Edited by jazzshrink

So Dmitry,

If you went to see the Paul Motian Trio, give us your review, please.

I saw these guys last night. I'm embarrassed to say that I only recognized three Monk tunes ("Off Minor", "Crepescule with Nellie", an amazing "Misterioso") and one other tune that I can't recall the name of.

Anyway, they were amazing. Three musicians that are totally at the peak of their respective instruments. Lovano gave one of the best tenor performances I've seen -- overflowing with ideas, never a dull moment. And hearing Frisell in a (relatively) straight-ahead was something. Motian is such an incredible drummer.

Sorry for gushing. :)

Guy

Anyway, they were amazing.  Three musicians that are totally at the peak of their respective instruments.  Lovano gave one of the best tenor performances I've seen -- overflowing with ideas, never a dull moment.

Damn straight.

It deserves the "State of the Tenor" treatment or what?

Someone[bN] should record their next tenure for a multi-cd set.

Plus the bonus dvd.

Edited by Dmitry