Who The Heck Is Roni Size?

JSngry

I've just heard his remix of Nuyorican Soul's ""It's Alright, I Feel It" (available on the Japan-only Nuyorican Soul - The Remixes cd), and I'm damn near speechless. This guy contructs a freakin' 13:15 total reconstruction that is damn near "symphonic" in scope. Wickedly grooving and intelligent, and like so much of this type stuff, a logical extension of On The Corner &Get Up With It.

I'm not even remotely qualified to make music like this. But damned if I can't be moved by it. This is more than "dance music" - this is visionary stuff. Is he always this good?

Edited by JSngry

I don't know this particular remix, but Roni Size & Reprazent made big waves over here in Europe when his 'New Forms' album came out, some ten years ago. Nowadays, this particular brand of drum & bass sound, as developed by Roni Size, 4 Hero, Adam F., DJ Krust etc. is kind of considered to be 'old hat' and somewhat old-fashioned by most people I know (trends move fast in dance music...), but I still like it when I hear it.

Edited by DatDere

I don't know this particular remix, but Roni Size & Reprazent made big waves over here in Europe when his 'New Forms' album came out, some ten years ago. Nowadays, this particular brand of drum & bass sound, as developed by Roni Size, 4 Hero, Adam F., DJ Krust etc. is kind of considered to be 'old hat' and somewhat old-fashioned by most people I know (trends move fast in dance music...), but I still like it when I hear it.

Just curious, what's taken it's place?

I'm nothing if not behind the curve here, being a jazz musician and all. ;)

Dat Dere is right certainly in saying that Drum'n'Bass is considered old hat but I think that it was only really considered in fashion for a very short period of time. By the time Roni Size released his second album it was yesterday's news!

I have New Forms - it won the Mercury Music prize here when it came out and was intrigued. Have to say though that it didn't get too many spins in the end. I'm more a Tricky & Massive Attack man myself (I think Roni Size is from Bristol too). I may still have it somewhere (although I may have given it to our local charity shop!).

Edited by djcavanagh

I had one Roni Size album and didn't dig it at all. It had an album cover which looked like Space Invaders. Too noisy for my tastes. I recall wanting to pick up some of those Nuyorican Soul discs and passing due to a steep price. Maybe I'll give Roni another chance in that context.

Roni Size's output wasn't my cup of tea.

When practiced by the masters of the genre [J Majik, LTJ Bukem, Dillinja] this was some magical polyrhythmic shit.

I look at it like I view the world of Dub Reggae: some of it is genius, and others sound like a record with the interesting parts mixed all of the way out.

jim -

all i can say is, roni size is *very* inconsistent and more often than not out and out hip hop. stick to his remixes of others material and you might find some other tracks you like. otherwise, my advice is to be careful with his own full length records...

-e-

ps: see the monday michiru free soul compilation?

jim -

all i can say is, roni size is *very* inconsistent and more often than not out and out hip hop. stick to his remixes of others material and you might find some other tracks you like. otherwise, my advice is to be careful with his own full length records...

-e-

ps: see the monday michiru free soul compilation?

Sounds like good advice. Thanks! The Nuyorican remix is nothing short of amazing, but that might well be because the source material was pretty damn strong to begin with.

And yes, I did, and ordered it. You know it. ;)

Guest youmustbe

Roni Size WAS! Over. like most of them. Danny Williamson aka LTJ Bukem did great things sampling his idol Lonnie Liston Smith but that sound is done with.

Bukem's Journey Inwards is great as is the 3rd Logical Progression, and Earth, also good is the The Producer which has shit from previous albums.

I recommend DJ Shadow's In Tune and On Time Live! From last year on Geffen.

Another great one promises to be Sampling Bob James The Nautilus Project with Pete Rock, Prince Paul, Easy Mo Bee, Nicolay, Rob Swift, DJ Spinna a/o produced by the steady hand of that guy that seems to know everything about JOLC and fundraising!

Also recommended, just picked up the vinyl while looking for some Schumann piano Lps...never heard it before or even knew it existed...Kenton Showcase one side Russo, the other Holman! the shit!!!! (same used classical store wher years ago I found clean copy of Kenton's Cuban Fire...one of the great albums in Jazz!