another new lester young recording

bichos

Hello,

There is a new cd on the “tcb” label “swiss radio days” series. "jatp with ella fitzgerald and oscar peterson”

Rare and previously un-issued performances recorded at a Jazz At The Philharmonic concert in Lausanne, Switzerland and broadcast on Swiss radio in 1953.

The concert is split in three groupings; Ella and Oscar with Ray Brown and J.C. Heard on the first seven tracks, then Lester Young performing his famous tune "Lester Leaps In" with Oscar and his rhythm section plus Charlie Shavers on trumpet. The remaining five tracks feature Oscar's famous trio with bassist Ray Brown and guitarist Barney Kessel.

Recorded: Theatre de Beaulieu, Lausanne, March 14, 1953.

this is as far as i know totally undocumented in the "lestorian notes" discography and also in the book "you just fight for your life". i found informations here: http://www.jazzmessengers.com/

now, we are waiting for the cd-issue of the recently found atcetates of the lester jam from 1940!

keep boppin´

marcel

I saw the CD last week, wasn't aware of this great series ("Swiss Radio Days") being continued, since it's been a few years since their last release... didn't have a closer look, as I don't need more OP (or Ella) and Pres isn't noted on the cover... so it's just one track with him? Will have to play it at a store to decide if I really need it...

I saw the CD last week, wasn't aware of this great series ("Swiss Radio Days") being continued, since it's been a few years since their last release... didn't have a closer look, as I don't need more OP (or Ella) and Pres isn't noted on the cover... so it's just one track with him? Will have to play it at a store to decide if I really need it...

yes, it´s unfortunatley only one track with lester "lester leaps in" with charlie shavers. but it´s not a few years since their last release. there was in january one with benny goodman from 1950:

http://www.tcb.ch/news.cgi?list=month|id&a...2006&sort=r

keep boppin´

marcel

yes, it´s unfortunatley only one track with lester "lester leaps in" with charlie shavers. but it´s not a few years since their last release. there was in january one with benny goodman from 1950:

http://www.tcb.ch/news.cgi?list=month|id&a...2006&sort=r

keep boppin´

marcel

Didn't know that... they did plenty of BG releases, but I don't have any of them. Earlier they had the blue spine series, dedicated to BG (there was also a box). But since their discs are so expensive, I haven't checked out many of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

yesterday i listen to the new cd „oscar peterson/ella fitzgerald – jatp, lausanne 1953. swiss radio days, vol. 15” on the “tcb” label. It has (part?) of the fitzgerald set, (part?) of the peterson set and unfortunately only one track (lester leaps in; 4:22) with lester young! He is in fine form and his solo is superb. The liner notes are short, uninteresting and generally held about ella and peterson. Including is a bad scanned photo of ella and ray brown. No background informations about this world premier recording! But the tone quality is very good! The personal for the lester young track is listing only charlie shavers on trumpet but you can hear more instruments. That must be willie smith and flip phillips. There is only one other document from this jatp tour in march 1953 from europe known to me from paris (03.03.1953 and in not so good sound). so I´m sure there must be more of the jam set with them all together here in lausanne! I hope “tcb” brings out more of that concert. If you have a lot of ella fitzgerald and / or oscar peterson from that period, you don´t need this cd but as lester young fan you will be happy to have one more gem of the great prez.

Keep boppin´

Marcel

Hello all,

peter schmidlin from the „tcb“ label gives the information that in early 2007 it is planned to release the vol. 16 in the “swiss radio days jazz series”. It includes the second part (the instrumental one) from the jatp concert in lausanne, march 14, 1953 with charlie shavers, willie smith, lester young and flip phillips. this concert is totally undocumented and unknown in the discographies. Sound quality is very good! So, we have another new prez discovery!!

Now, we are waiting for the release of the recently discovered lester young jam from 1940.

Keep boppin´

marcel