Clark Terry in Winnipeg

pryan

Well, I've seen him twice before and I know he's gonna go through some of the same routines/jokes onstage, but in a way, that's why I'm going to see him again (not to mention the marvellous trumpet and flugelhorn playing). This guy, as most of you know, is a living legend (in every sense) and loves doing what he does.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the number of potential empty seats, considering the concert is taking place on a Friday night, in the summer, AND in Winnipeg, a place where a large proportion of the population takes off to their cabins or goes to the beach.

Regardless, I know I'm going to have a great time and I hope my buddies and I can possibly meet the man and, hopefully get a picture (I'm not holding my breath, however).

I'll report back later and let you guys know how it went.

Well, it was a great concert. We had good seats, 13th row, center. Clark was his usual joking self, cracking out the well-rehearsed ones, just as I had expected. Like the one where the cow goes to the "ink farm" and proceeds to Moo(d) Indigo. And he played upside down for a while; the encore was "very short" - one note!

BUT, he can still play, really play, especially for a man that's 83. Mainly standards; "Mumbles" closed out the concert.

Other notables were Steve Kirby on bass and the pianist, who almost stole the show with numerous jaw-dropping solos, Hugh Fraser.

Unfortunately we forgot a camera, but the memories of the performance are enough for me.