Branford Marsalis Quartet

sal

Has anyone heard this yet? I liked Branford's late 80's/early 90's offerings with the trio and quartet, but I haven't really enjoyed any of his more recent releases, particularly these newer albums that all seem to be themed. This new one seems like it might just be a return to good ol' fashioned saxophone quartet jazz. I think his band is very solid, particularly the connection between Branford and Tain.

I'm digging the rave ups on this new one: "Jack Baker" and "Black Elk Speaks." (Jack Baker, the actor?). Of the more mellow, rubato soprano balladisms, not so much, though the tune dedicated to their road manager is cool. Having heard Bran play Henry Purcell's "O, Solitude" (on tenor) live, quoting "Gloomy Sunday," alluding to his version on "Eternal," it's clear his classical chops are up. Musically the recording is documenting how well the group plays as a group, that evolution. It hit me on initial casual listening how this band is either up or down, there's not much mid-tempo swing or bounce going on -- it's rubato or full on head long post Coltrane. Haven't spent enough time with it to say if that's accurate, but a first impression. By the way A.B. Spellman's notes, and his notes for Delfayo's new one featuring Elvin Jones, are very, very good. He sticks to the music at hand and enlightens it.

I caught Branford's current group at Birchmere in Alexandria, VA last night. Great show. They played selections from the new album (Hope, Fate, Blakzilla), a few older numbers (Bullworth?), Tain's "Vodville" and Wynton's "Free to Be" (from "The Magic Hour") as an encore. It was great to see Tain again (I saw him with his own group at Blues Alley). He was wearing a "Chocolate City" by Parliament t-shirt.

Branford Marsalis - Saxophones

Joey Calderazzo - Piano

Eric Revis - Bass

Jeff "Tain" Watts - Drums

Edited by HWright

I caught Branford's current group at Birchmere in Alexandria, VA last night. Great show. They played selections from the new album (Hope, Fate, Blakzilla), a few older numbers (Bullworth?), Tain's "Vodville" and Wynton's "Free to Be" (from "The Magic Hour") as an encore. It was great to see Tain again (I saw him with his own group at Blues Alley). He was wearing a "Chocolate City" by Parliament t-shirt.

Branford Marsalis - Saxophones

Joey Calderazzo - Piano

Eric Revis - Bass

Jeff "Tain" Watts - Drums

I was there as well (back by the control booth) ......it was a :tup of a show. That opening number was something else, eh? Revis was on fire. The only thing that sucked is that I missed the encore 'cause I had to whip home and get the kids ready for bed.

That's a weird venue for jazz with those long tables w/checkered tablecloths and all.....but it was well worth it. I can't believe that Peter Frampton's gonna be there next week (thought he'd vanished ages ago) -- and only $75 a ticket! :rfr

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen