HADLEY CALIMAN QT. feat. JULIAN PRIESTER

TIRED-CHEWY-CHEW-CHEW-HERE-REPORTING BACK: SAW 'LITTLE-DEX' IN CONCERT TONIGHT AND HE WAS ****KILLIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!**** I CANT BELIEVE IVE NEVER SEEN HIM B4 HE ROCKED THE HOUSE. IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH THE $12 COVER AND THEN SOME. WHEN I LOOKED OVER AND SAW JULIAN PRIESTER PUTTING HIS TROMBONE TOGETHER, I KNEW THEY WERE GONNA MAKE JAZZ!!! AND MAKE JAZZ THEY DID: J.P DOESNT PLAY VERY LOUDLY BUT HE WAS VERY GOOD. BUT LITTLE DEX STOLE THE SHOW. TOWARDS THE END HADLEY BROUGHT UP A YOUNGER TENOR GUY, I GUESS HE STILL RESPECTS THE 'TWO TENOR' THING, U KNOW. THEY PLAYED A 'DIG' AND A GOOD MANCINI TUNE CALLED HOT COLD WIND OR SOMETHIN AND THEY PLAYED TENOR MADNESS AND THEY PLAYED STANDARDS TOO. IT WAS THE BEST REAL JAZZ BEBOP SHOW IVE SEEN IN A REAL LONG TIME.

I was there too!

Hadley is still blowing strong at 75.

Very impressive!

Although Priester can only play softly now, he displayed much class

and it was a real treat to see them together on the small Tula's stage.

Wish I could be in Seattle this coming Thursday night, when Eric Alexander and George Coleman blow

into town. Man, that would be some kinda show....

Peter Johnson, you going to that show??? :party:

i have to strees again how the oppurutnites to hear "straight-shit bebop" are dwindling: so ill let u in:

If you Seattle guys really want to see im again, he told me he's gonna have a weekly gig or something at a place on 2nd & James, i think he said its some Spanish place....i have no idea what its called or when the gig is....if anyone of you know what it is, youre set...if not lets all try to figure it out!!!

I was there! It was a really outstanding show, and a pleasure to get introduced to Hadley's music. He and his band sounded fantastic, and what a treat to hear Priester sit in on the 2nd. Priester definitely played in a restrained manner, but his choices were sly and deep and he and Caliman had a nice, natural hook-up. It was a blast, and many thanks to you Seattle folks for hipping me to the gig. Tula's was fine as a venue (I took your advice and ate elsewhere before the show). The folks working there were nice enough.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

nathan

p.s. - I had to leave before the last set, so I missed Slow Hot Wind (a.k.a. Lujon) which is a drag, as it's one of my favorite tunes and a tune I play when I do standards gigs.

Edited by nathan

Second and James? The "Ibiza Dinner Club?"

Seems like an odd place for Hadley, but hey...

Ibiza Dinner Club

i have to strees again how the oppurutnites to hear "straight-shit bebop" are dwindling: so ill let u in:

If you Seattle guys really want to see im again, he told me he's gonna have a weekly gig or something at a place on 2nd & James, i think he said its some Spanish place....i have no idea what its called or when the gig is....if anyone of you know what it is, youre set...if not lets all try to figure it out!!!