Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD

It took forever and a day for them to release the Northern Exposure seasons, and both of those shows were on around the same time. I believe TP was just winding down as NE was starting to get a bit popular.

Both were great shows, and it's been rather aggravating waiting for their DVD release, especialy when so many other crap shows are already out.

Both were great shows, and it's been rather aggravating waiting for their DVD release, especialy when so many other crap shows are already out.

Seriously. I went to J&R's DVD store a couple weeks ago and was astonished at some of the shows that are out of DVD. Who is buying ALF - The Complete First and Second Season? You may as well put Small Wonder out on DVD.

Seriously. I went to J&R's DVD store a couple weeks ago and was astonished at some of the shows that are out of DVD. Who is buying ALF - The Complete First and Second Season? You may as well put Small Wonder out on DVD.

My other big beef is with shows like Friends, Seinfeld, etc....

Hell, if you have cable you can watch several episodes of all those shows on a daily basis!!

You're damn sure not going to be watching TP or NE on any of those channels though.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Hell, if you have cable you can watch several episodes of all those shows on a daily basis!!

While I agree with you in that I've seen them (well, not Friends :bad:) enough to not buy such boxes you do realize that they cut out something like 5 to 8 minutes or so of each episode. So those George reaction shots and so forth get snipped away. The "true" fans want it unadulterated.

I think the big hold up on Northern Exposure was the music licensing. I believe the music selections added up to very large sums for licensing, and some songs were ultimately replaced.

As for Twin Peaks, heck, I still have them on VHS recorded off TV when the originally aired, commercials and all...

While I agree with you in that I've seen them (well, not Friends :bad:) enough to not buy such boxes you do realize that they cut out something like 5 to 8 minutes or so of each episode. So those George reaction shots and so forth get snipped away. The "true" fans want it unadulterated.

More like 2 minutes per, those are only 30 minute time slots you know! :P

Sitcoms run about 22 minutes these days, dramas 44 minutes, naturally. But, I got Police Woman, and SWAT very cheaply earlier this year,(Mid 70's shows for the young folks here) and they run 50-51 minutes!

It will be good to revisit season two as I have little recollection of much at the end. Kinda got lost with all the various directors taking turns at it and then the whole chess game of putting it on on three different nights totally threw off the flow.

I'm not sure, but was a final episode directed by Lynch and then only shown in Europe, or some such? And curious as to the reason that a regualr cut of the 'pilot' was never made readily available.

As for season one, while recouping from some ailment a few years back, I watched some of my old VHS cassettes that were recorded off the tube during broadcast. Truly some of the best TV ever. Still taken by that scene when Leland decks the neice in the living room ... absolutely startling, still!

Couldn't look behind the couch for quite a while.

1620680597.jpg

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

It is truly bizarre that the pilot was not included with the first season box. As a result, the first season box really isn't self contained at all; all the action is in motion at the start of the first episode included.

There is a very poor quality Region 0 disc of the pilot. Not sure if it is the "regular cut" or how the "regular cut" difers from the "irregular cut."

Not sure about that final episode, either - you're not referring to "Fire Walk with Me," are you?

Someone at work told me that she heard that Season 2 of Twin Peaks is finally going to be released on DVD in the US next year. Has anyone else heard this? Is there a reliable source? Thanks.

I hope it's not true. Talk about a waste of shelf space. Season 2 has nothing to do with David Lynch, aside from the last episode, which isn't even all that great. Get season 1 and pretend that season 2 never occured.

...you do realize that they cut out something like 5 to 8 minutes or so of each episode. So those George reaction shots and so forth get snipped away. The "true" fans want it unadulterated.

More like 2 minutes per, those are only 30 minute time slots you know! :P

8 did seem like a stretch, but give 'em a few more years. ;) I did think it was more than 2, though snip the theme song and the opening joke (from the early years at least) and not too much is lost from Seinfeld.

Sitcoms run about 22 minutes these days, dramas 44 minutes, naturally. But, I got Police Woman, and SWAT very cheaply earlier this year,(Mid 70's shows for the young folks here) and they run 50-51 minutes!

50-51 minutes of show out of an hour is amazing! Hell, even commercial-free PBS might not being doing that nowadays. :lol:

I think the big hold up on Northern Exposure was the music licensing. I believe the music selections added up to very large sums for licensing, and some songs were ultimately replaced.

True, and true.

Music licensing was a big problem there. But ultimately, the ball was dropped.

The biggest problem with NE, as far as DVD release was concerned, was that there was so much incredible music that was used. And a lot of it was integral to the show (hard to explain if you haven't seen the shows).

And those hardcore fans, like myself, can quickly point out where something was substituted. Luckily, certain episodes where it played a huge part in a scene have been preserved. Most notably in season 4 where a certain Enya tune was used to close out an episode (and whether you like Enya, or not, it WAS integral), and the show where Mike the bubble man left, which ended with a rather plaintive Chieftains tune.

A lot of long time fans are quite pissed, but for the most part, the tunes that really need to be there, are.

• 2 weeks later...

That's been the rumor at alt.tv.twin-peaks for a while, I hope so.

While I'm waiting, I should go see his new one, Inland Empire. :party::party::party:

I saw it today. I think it just may be my favorite film (er... video?) of his; which from me is saying a lot, seeing as Eraserhead is one of my favorite movies of all time. While far from straightforward, I didn't find it nearly as impenetrable or incoherent as many reviews had led me to expect. I can't really say anything substantive about it - this work needs to speak for itself.

Oh yeah - Laura Dern rocked.