Kenny Wheeler on UK Kids TV

sidewinder

Just perusing the lineup on this compilation of the 70s cult BBC kids cartoon series and I see that one 'Ken Wheeler' is credited on trumpet, with a variety of other jazzers including Ray Swinfield on flute.

B000ART9VY.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1124298076_.jpg

Always liked the incidental music on this series ! (sort of 'Curried Jazz meets Sesame Street').

I've seen a short BBC documentary on Kenny Wheeler made in 1976 where he discusses his various activities as a musician. Back then, he spent a lot of time playing in and rehearsing groups for non-jazz recordings: TV shows, commercials, etc. It was an economic necessity.

I've seen a short BBC documentary on Kenny Wheeler made in 1976 where he discusses his various activities as a musician. Back then, he spent a lot of time playing in and rehearsing groups for non-jazz recordings: TV shows, commercials, etc. It was an economic necessity.

Yep, I know that one. It was a short film done for the BBC's 'Omnibus' series. In fact, part of the film shows Kenny getting on a tube train on his way to one of these sessions. There's also nice footage of a Big Band radio session done at Maida Vale for 'BBC Jazz Club'.