About Criterion's DVD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

137_box_348x490.jpg

anyone watch this DVD?

FYI, all the Criterion Hitchcock's are OOP and fetching big bucks on ebay.

Really? I have all 3. And 'Rebecca." Maybe I'll watch them someday and sell them.

Nah.

There are so many Mizoguchi, Naruse, and Ozu films not available on Region 1 DVD. But it seems like Criterions new series of boxes, without many extras, may finally start catching up with some. I'm looking forward to the early Bergman box. And if Eureka also continues with those boxes, that would be great. Not Region 1 (but I have an all region player), but at least there will be available English-subtitled editions.

Edited by Adam

Also noteworthy is Criterion's policy of never letting anything go OOP, no matter how poorly it is selling. The only exception is when they lose the rights to a title, and this has only happened in a handful of cases.

True, but these cases can be extraordinarily annoying. Case in point: Notorious---I swear the damn Criterion of that film went out of print the day before I decided to buy it. Yes, partly my fault for waiting, but it still sucks the big one.

The criterion Transfers are excellent

I bought my box a couple of years ago

I think I paid $110 and thought that was steep :(

I watched the 39 steps not too long ago

It was like seeing the movie for the first time

Latest Criterion purchases

New Editions of old favorites

Seven Samurai

Playtime

And Powell & Pressburger's

A Canterbury Tale

• 4 weeks later...

From Gary at DVD Beaver

"Extremely impressive disc from Criterion. The image is a little soft at times with a lot of grain, and contrast is perfect. An excellent commentary and extras are provided. I was very impressed with the mono audio - it sounded exceptionally clear and consistent. It reaches the upper price structure tier for Criterion and is worth it.

Gary W. Tooze

I agree with his technical reviews 95% of the Time

He is much more knowledgable than I

perhaps another here might know more

I have not seen this Criterion Transfer yet

Watched the movie on TCM a couple of months ago

I had a problem with it when I rented it out the other day: the sound is slightly out of sync on one part of the film (basically, the section where Eve pretends to be an English aristocrat). Anyone else have this problem? Has it been fixed on a later print run?

The commentary is quite good; I didn't get a chance to try the radio version before I had to return it.

Criterion Link

i believe there are 5 AH Criterion DVDS

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Notorious

Rebecca

Spellbound

Yep, and they used to be in a box together, until they lost the license. I was in the market for the box until I saw it going on ebay for $250.

I feel fortunate. I bought a Criterion DVD of The Lady Vanishes around Christmas at a Barnes & Noble. The quality of the print is stunning compared to our old VHS copy of the film.

Criterion Link

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Notorious

Rebecca

Spellbound

Yep, and they used to be in a box together, until they lost the license. I was in the market for the box until I saw it going on ebay for $250.

i was lucky to get that box for my B-day from my wife a few years back. does anyone else have this set?

i always wondered why each DVD has a round punch hole thru the barcode ?

I was thinking they did this so retailers couldn't sell the dvd's individually ?

Criterion Link

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Notorious

Rebecca

Spellbound

i was lucky to get that box for my B-day from my wife a few years back. does anyone else have this set?

I was thinking they did this so retailers couldn't sell the dvd's individually ?

I have this one too - it's a fantastic set. Criterion only had a very brief licensing window for these titles, and there was some discussion about this shortly after the set's release, so I didn't wait too long to pick it up, knowing that it was going to be out of print soon. The same thing happened with their release of Peckinpah's STRAW DOGS. Your supposition about the punchouts through the barcodes is correct.

This set and Universal's amazing Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection containing his later films are pretty much essential for Hitchcock lovers. His early British films are available on various cheap public-domain DVDs using source materials/transfers of marginal quality, but I think I recall reading somewhere that there are plans in the works for a higher-quality set of those as well.

Edited by Dave Garrett

Criterion Link

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Notorious

Rebecca

Spellbound

My set was not punched thru the barcode ( a sealed box also)

Edited by gslade

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...