Birds of a feather?

O.J. Simpson feels for Scott Peterson

By Jose Martinez

New York Daily News

• NEW YORK -- Hey, Scott Peterson: O.J. feels for you, man.

In an interview with Playboy magazine, America's most famous acquitted murder suspect, O.J. Simpson, expressed sympathy for the reviled husband of Laci Peterson, who's facing a murder rap of his own.

"Ask anyone in America about him. They'll say the guy is guilty," Simpson said. "But we haven't heard one shred of evidence."

The gridiron great -- who got off on charges that he killed his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman in 1994, but was found liable in a civil trial -- said Peterson is being unfairly convicted in the press.

"They created the impression that he was fleeing, so he's guilty," Simpson said. "I'm not saying that he isn't, but I don't pretend to know."

Peterson is accused of killing his pregnant wife last Christmas Eve and dumping her body in San Francisco Bay. The 30-year-old fertilizer salesman was teeing off on a golf course the day the remains of his wife and their unborn son Conner were found.

Simpson said he did the same thing after his wife was stabbed to death, suggesting it could be the actions of an innocent man.9563.jpg

"When I got home from Chicago the week Nicole was murdered, I wanted to get on a golf course," he said. "I wanted to get away from all the hurt, all the pain."

Simpson agreed with Playboy when the magazine asked whether the extraordinary coverage of his trial unfairly convicted him in the minds of most Americans.

"If the trial hadn't been on TV, most people would feel differently," he said. "I was tried by the media before I was tried in court."

Short on acting gigs and largely an outcast, Simpson now spends much of his time golfing. After his acquittal, he vowed to find the "real killer."

Peterson, meanwhile, is behind bars awaiting a preliminary hearing next month.

Note: Illustration (above) did not accompany the original article - CA