Bud Freeman

montg

Tjader B. -- I'm with you on the cross pollination, but while Pres certainly was influenced by Trumbauer (and acknowledged the influence) he specifically denied, in his late-'50s Jazz Hot interview, that he had been influenced by Bud. That doesn't prove that he wasn't, just that he said he wasn't. Also, as more than one person has pointed out before, if Pres dug Tram, he almost certainly had to be picking up on what Bix was playing alongside Tram on "Singing the Blues" et al.

Larry, That is interesting about what Prez said in the interview. My dad William knew Lester Young. He started going to Lester's gigs when he was a young man in St. Louis. Over the years, he got to know him fairly well and saw him at the Blackhawk in San Francisco a number of times. Dad says Lester spoke very little and often wouldn't announce the tunes he was playing. The other musicians just had to be quick and knowledegable. He recalls that Prez said he was influenced by Trumbauer but can't remember for sure if Freeman was mentioned. I would agree with you that Lester probably did like Bix as well. But the liner notes to the Aladdin Prez collection confirm that Prez must have acknowledged Freeman. But Prez was an eccentric and a drunk and therefore was quite unpredictable. He acknowledged Freeman early and then dropped him later. Who knows why ?

Bud was one of the great tenors, with his own sound. Ya gotta hand it to a guy when you can always tell it's him as soon as you hear him.

I got to rap with him in 1964 after the show when he was on tour with Eddie Condon. Real gentleman! I remember he told me that he used a Rico #2, brown box, just like little me!

In the interview in Paris on the Verve box set, Pres said that he was influenced by Trumbauer, but not by Bud.

Anyone heard that 'Bud Freeman in London' LP on Fontana where he is decked out in a business suit, bowler hat and brollie? I've always wondered what that one was like.

Who's on that one? I heard Bud in London in the early '70s at a Sunday jazz brunch at some hotel, with saxophonist Johnny Barnes and trombonist Roy Williams (both very good players) alongside Bud in the front line. It was fine mainstream Swing -- less programmed that the later World's Greatest Jazz Band things.

Anyone heard that 'Bud Freeman in London' LP on Fontana where he is decked out in a business suit, bowler hat and brollie? I've always wondered what that one was like.

Who's on that one? I heard Bud in London in the early '70s at a Sunday jazz brunch at some hotel, with saxophonist Johnny Barnes and trombonist Roy Williams (both very good players) alongside Bud in the front line. It was fine mainstream Swing -- less programmed that the later World's Greatest Jazz Band things.

Slight correction on the title I gave Larry - it's 'Bud Freeman Esq.' I think - with Dick Katz, Spike Heatley and Tony Crombie. Recorded in the mid-60s I think. I believe that Bud was resident for a period here in the late 70s and became very much an 'honourary Brit'. He was frequently doing gigs around London (especially the Bulls Head, Barnes). I'm just sorry I never caught any of them.

Remember seeing Roy Williams some years ago too. Superb technically and one of the best of the British mainstream players.