Cecil Taylor + Anthony Braxton 8 July in London

djcavanagh

Cecil Taylor is playing with Anthony Braxton at the Royal Festival Hall In London in July. Ornette Coleman is playing the following night.

"Piano genius Cecil Taylor, alongside Ornette Coleman, is acknowledged as one of the major innovators of the 'Free Jazz' movement of the late 1950s. After nearly 50 years, this pianist, composer and poet remains one of the most controversial figures in jazz - continuing, in his 77th year, to compose, write and tour. At a time in his career when most artists of his stature could sustain themselves with a victory lap of regurgitating the past or to slip into silent retirement, Taylor continues to push new boundaries with his art. For this concert, Cecil Taylor will be reunited with percussionist Tony Oxley on drums, William Parker on bass, and will play, for the very first time, with master saxophonist Anthony Braxton."

Tickets available here.

Although this is a first I'd be very surprised if this sold out. I went to see them in a double bill at the Queen Elizabeth Hall a couple of years ago and I don't think that it was anywhere close to sold out. It is smaller I believe than the RFH as well. Hope I'm wrong though.

I've booked tickets for both concerts just in case!