Bill Doggett- FINGERTIPS (Columbia)

its only 5.99 big ones/reissued/sealed @ the store---

now i have many of his original KING lps and cherish them, but i do realize this one is newer and different than the kings, but can someone in the know elaborate for me? is it funky, poppy, swingy, what? what about personel? can someone who has this lp write a little bit about it for chewy?

This lp is very mid 60s instrumentally poppish, likely the most commercial of Doggett's Columbia lps. He does instrumental versions of a lot of "hits" of the day, plays them fairly straight and without a lot of blowing. For the sidemen (not named)it's probably pretty much like doing the original date - just another R&B session. This isn't really a "jazz" date. At least not imho.

Bill's organ sound is different here. No vibrato or leslie for the most part. Unusual for him.

So for me it's far from the greatest Bill Doggett, but on the other hand it's likely not to be reissued and when all is said and done I'm glad I have it. I don't listen to it often, but it is a very accurate picure of the times in which it was recorded.

the copy i want is a lp reissue

Chewy, do you mean a cd reissue? Or a vinyl reissue?

I know of two other Bill Dogget Columbia lps. OOPS and PRELUDE TO THE BLUES. Both are more interesting to me than FINGERTIPS. I have all of them on vinyl but if there are cd and they are in superior sound I might go for them.

BTW, on OOPS the guitarist if Floyd Smith - one of the earliest electric guitarists. He plays a MEAN Honky Tonk.

• 1 month later...