dr. lonnie's "mama wailer"

Guest donald petersen

Guest donald petersen

this is an interesting album.

i'm not so into the carole king tune, but the use of clavinet on the first track is interesting though i wish it was more prominent. the title track is also maybe a bit boring. not really "groove raga" or whatever doug payne said. the side long take on "stand" gets kind of, dare i say, trippy. especially for a kudu album in 1971.

were these guys high? probably not. but i mean it gets pretty weird. cobham's keeping up a weird hectic beat, ron carter is droning on and smith's organ is doing weird little riffs which seem to be echoe-ed out and panned. and ponder's guitar is kinda wah wah-ed and echoey...

Guest donald petersen

hmm in the liner notes, doug payne does call part of stand a "stoned groove"....it's worth hearing.

billy cobham-so underrated as an organ drummer. he rocks with charles earland (and jh smith) too.

I may have to check it out (though I will await Noj's comments). Thom Jurek's review of this album has a cool line:

For anyone who's ever had reservations about Washington's ability to cut loose as an improviser, they need only to give this track a listen and then apologize to his ghost.

Guest donald petersen

well i am not saying the album wasn't disappointing...i was expecting more. no i wasn't really, because my expectations were low to begin with. the album isn't great...though in regards to noj, maybe it works better on CD because there are 3 short tracks and then one long track. but this is a pretty good organ funky album...