Guitar Trios

Jazz Kat

I'm looking for modern day guitar trios that play a lot of pop and jazz standards, like Autumn Leaves, Solar, On Green Dolphin Street, Love For Sale, St Thomas, Giant Steps, Along Came Betty, The Days Of Wine & Roses, etc... Any help? No horns, just guitar, bass, and drums. (I also wouldn't mind piano or vibes)

Nightbur.jpg

“A Night At The Vanguard with The Kenny Burrell Trio” (Cadet, 655)

Kenny Burrell(g), Richard Davis(b), Roy Haynes(ds).

Rec. Sep. 16, 17, 1959, live at The Village Vanguard, NYC.

(A-1)All Night Long (A-2)Will You Still Be Mine (A-3)I'm A Fool To Want You (A-4)Trio 

(B-1)Broadway (B-2)Soft Winds (B-3)Just A Sittin' And A Rockin' (B-4)Well You Needn't

Check out Jimmy Ponder at http://www.jazzdepot.com/. Only one of the albums listed, "Thumbs Up," is a guitar-bass-drums trio, but try the guitar-piano-bass-drums quartet and the guitar-organ-drums trio. Ponder is a fantastic and underappreciated guitarist.

Also check out Peter Leitch and Joshua Breakstone, both estimable mainstream players who are known to work in trio format.

Peter Leitch and Joshua Breakstone, both estimable mainstream players who are known to work in trio format.

Two of my favorites, both far too overlooked, imo.

More:

Louis Stewart:

d09195t1807.jpg

BUY this!! :cool:

Mark Elf:

http://www.jenbayjazz.com/international.html

Oh, what the hell...

Howard Alden Misterioso Concord

Howard Alden A Good Likeness Concord

Elek Bacsik The Electric Guitar Of The Eclectic Elek Bacsik Mercury (Fontana)

Billy Bean The Trio "Rediscovered" String Jazz

Billy Bean The Trio Riverside

Joe Beck Girl Talk Venus

Ed Bickert Ed Bickert PMR (LP)

Ed Bickert At Last Mambo Maniacs

Ed Bickert Out Of The Past Sackville

Ed Bickert The Guitar Mastery Of Ed Bickert DSM

Joshua Breakstone 9 X 3 Contemporary

Joshua Breakstone Remembering Grant Green Paddle Wheel

Joshua Breakstone Let's Call This Monk! Double Time

Joshua Breakstone The Music Of Bud Powell Double Time

Joshua Breakstone Tomorrow's Hours Capri

Ronnell Bright (Kenny Burrell) Bright's Spot Savoy (Regent)

Ray Brown Trio Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone Telarc

Jimmy Bruno Burnin' Concord

Kenny Burrell A Night At The Vanguard Argo

Kenny Burrell Tin Tin Deo Concord

Kenny Burrell Handcrafted 32 Jazz (Muse)

Kenny Burrell When Lights Are Low Concord

Kenny Burrell At The Village Vanguard (Muse)

Kenny Burrell Laid Back 32 Jazz (Muse)

Kenny Burrell Moon And Sand Concord

Kenny Burrell Listen To The Dawn Muse (32 Jazz / Japan)

Kenny Burrell Groovin' High Muse

Kenny Burrell Lotus Blossom Concord

Greg Chako Everything I Love Chako

Greg Chako Sudden Impact Chako

Dave Corbus Trios Time Synergy

Mark Elf Elf / The Mark Elf Trio,Vol. 1 Half Note

Mark Elf Mark Elf Trio Alerce

Mark Elf Live At Small's Jen Bay

Mark Elf New York Cats Jen Bay

Mark Elf Over The Airwaves Jen Bay

Ron Eschete Mo' Strings Attached Concord

Ron Eschete Rain Or Shine Concord

Ron Eschete Soft Winds Concord

Tal Farlow The Swinging Guitar Of Tal Farlow Verve

Tal Farlow Tal Verve

Tal Farlow At Ed Fuerst's Xanadu

Tal Farlow A Sign Of The Times Concord

Tal Farlow Tal Farlow '78 Concord

Tal Farlow Chromatic Palette Concord

Klaus Flenter The Trio Limetree

Heiner Franz A Window To The Soul Jardis

Heiner Franz Gouache Jardis

Barney Kessel The Poll Winners Contemporary

Barney Kessel The Poll Winners Ride Again ! Contemporary

Barney Kessel Poll Winners Three ! Contemporary

Barney Kessel Poll Winners Exploring The Scene Contemporary

Barney Kessel On Fire Venus (Emerald)

Peter Leitch On A Misty Night Criss Cross

Peter Leitch Trio / Quartet '91 Concord

Peter Leitch Up Front Reservoir

Lorne Lofsky It Could Happen To You Pablo Today

Eddy Louiss Eddy Louiss Trio Dreyfus (CY)

Horace Parlan Trio (Doug Raney) Hi Fly Steeplechase

Joe Pass Intercontinental MPS / BASF (Japan)

Bucky Pizzarelli Green Guitar Blues / The Cafe Pierre Trio Audiophile

Jimmy Raney Momentum PAUSA / MPS

Jimmy Raney The Influence Prevue (Xanadu)

Jimmy Raney Live In Tokyo Prevue (Xanadu)

Jimmy Raney Wisteria Criss Cross

Jimmy Raney But Beautiful Criss Cross

Gray Sargent Shades Of Gray Concord

Reg Schwager Resonance Justin Time

George Shearing (Louis Stewart) 500 Miles High MPS / Pausa

George Shearing (Louis Stewart) Windows MPS / Pausa

George Shearing (Louis Stewart) Getting In The Swing Of Things MPS / Pausa

George Shearing Trio (Louis Stewart) Paper Moon Telarc

John Stein Interplay Azica

Louis Stewart Overdrive Hep

Art Tatum (Tiny Grimes) Trio Days Le Jazz (Charly)

Martin Taylor Taylor Made Wave

Martin Taylor Skye Boat Concord

John Wilkins Strollin' Brownstone

Edited by Jim R

I bought a B.K. album called Soaring on Concord Jazz made in the 70's. It's pretty good, and they do one of my favorite tunes, You Go To My Head.

I haven't heard that in about 20 years... glad you dig it. To my ears, BK had gotten into a sloppy way of playing (particularly when soloing) on some of his 70's (and later) recordings. It sounded like he was trying to play things at a speed his mind was hearing, but his fingers weren't quite executing. Another Concord LP I remember in this regard was "Jellybeans". Those LP's never really did it for me. It's kind of odd, because I did see and hear some of his work in his later years where he sounded great.

Anyway, I still have extremely high respect for the man, and actually think he's somewhat under-appreciated by most people when looking back on the history of the great players (Wes, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Joe Pass... they all seem to get their props, but I think BK doesn't get enough respect for what he accomplished).

I've heard people say he's sloppy, but I don't care. I dig that tone! His solos on those Poll Winners albums are some of the most imaginative solos I've ever heard. I think he does get respect in the fact that most guitarists say he was a good guitar player, and many people know and like his music. But you're right, he does seem to be forgotten when talking about innovative guitarists of the 60's.

41Y3HN67RBL._SS500_.jpg

it's out of print but you may find it used - very nice laid-back gig!

here's an AAJ review:

By Jim Santella comments print email license

The Kenny Burrell Trio recorded Live At The Village Vanguard and Kenny Burrell In New York on December 15, 1978; hence, the title for this two-disc reissue. It doesn�t get much better for those who appreciate a guitar trio performing mainstream jazz. Burrell combines a great respect for the lyrical with harmonic chorded lines and a sweet tone in his work. It was in 1978 that the guitarist began teaching a course at UCLA on the life and music of Duke Ellington. Quite popular with students, the course still has a long waiting line for admission, after all these years. Burrell includes a few Ellington numbers on this program and works in a quote from “It Don�t Mean a Thing” on his upbeat arrangement of “Love, Your Magic Spell is Everywhere.”

Bass and drums solo infrequently on this session. Drummer Sherman Ferguson takes a few extended solos and fours that express his penchant for space and a variety of textures. Ferguson�s drums are tuned loosely at different pitches; this, in support of a lyrical outing. Although he stays way in the background for most of the club date, Larry Gales� big fat round tones jump out on “Makin� Whoopee,” as he has a lot to say and all of it tied to the melody. Ballads “Willow Weep for Me,” “Come Rain or Come Shine,” “Don�t You Know I Care?” and “But Beautiful” drive home the message that Burrell�s unmistakable singing guitar style comes naturally and falls on ears that appreciate the reissue of this long out of print material.

Track Listing for Live At The Village Vanguard: Second Balcony Jump; Willow Weep for Me; Work Song; Woody�n You; In the Still of the Night; Medley: Don�t You Know I Care? / Love You Madly; It�s Getting Dark.

Track Listing for Kenny Burrell In New York: Pent Up House; But Beautiful; Bags� Groove; Makin� Whoopee; Come Rain or Come Shine; Love, Your Magic Spell is Everywhere.

Personnel for both sessions: Kenny Burrell- guitar; Larry Gales- acoustic bass; Sherman Ferguson- drums.

As for Barney Kessell: get any of the Poll Winners' albums (with Ray Brown and Shelly Manne - OJC/Contemporary). There are three of them from the late 50s plus one later reunion from the 70s, I think, maybe more.

I think he does get respect in the fact that most guitarists say he was a good guitar player, and many people know and like his music.

I'm talking relatively. At least on the discussion boards I've participated on over the past eight years or so, BK gets very few props compared to Green, Burrell, Farlow, Montgomery, Hall, etc.

Jimmy Raney is another I'd put in that category.

But you're right, he does seem to be forgotten when talking about innovative guitarists of the 60's.

In terms of his own style, most of his innovating occured in the 40's and 50's when he was really developing.