Web Hosting Question

vajerzy

I want to start up a website for alumni from my high school class. I have a domain name already registered and I'd like to know where I can park it to have a website up and running. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Also- any of you have suggestions for operating a bulletin board such as this one, except a more simplified version?

My web experiences consist of building a web page using MS Frontpage 98, inporting images, etc. Nothing hard.

Thanks!!

I've had good luck with ICDSoft.com. Web hosting is $5/month.

This site was originally recommended to me as a "no frills", small size (333 MB) site that was good for "power users". This has worked well for me, as I had very little content to upload, and I do it all the old fashioned way -- command line FTP. You can also have up to 999 email addresses, 5 sub-domains, etc.

Not sure about Frontpage, but there is something about support for "Frontpage 2002 extensions" in the FAQ.

No - I've never done much with forums/boards.

However, a friend of mine does websites/forums for some local bands, and he's using something called DiscusWare. It seems to be pretty good for a fairly small, basic discussion forum. Also, he's using ICDSoft to host most (if not all) of his band sites, and has been happy with them so far, after about a year.

The only complaint I've heard about them (ICD) is that they don't have any telephone support. This hasn't been a problem for me, as any time that I've sent email to their tech support, it was answered within 5-10 minutes every time, even on the weekend.

Hope this helps.

The guys that host my site do so for $6 a month and there are no real space constaints.

They also set this board software up for me for nothing. And the software doesn't cost anything, either.

You can find my hosts by clicking this link and more info on this board software by clicking this link.

Hope this helps!

:)

B3-er- thanks for the info-

Still researching this info- I like the site Uncle Skid mentioned- it got a nice review in various computer mags.

I want to register another name- Uncle Skid and B-3er, did you use your web hosting companies, or move them from somewhere else (like register or godaddy?)

Thanks for your info!

I moved my site from a different host (long story -- let's just say it's usually not a good idea to mix business affairs with in-laws!). Since my brother-in-law had already registered the domain with register.com, I couldn't have ICDsoft register it for me.

I would have preferred to do the whole thing (register & hosting) with ICDSoft - the registering only costs an additional $5/year if it's all done with them. Register.com charges $35/year, for what appears to be the same thing! Plus, they charged an additional $35 to update the DNS entries when I moved it to ICD.

So, FWIW, I'd recommend doing everything though ICD (or something equivalent) -- if you don't have the domain registered yet.

Good Luck.

-- Mark

Thanks Mark- I have another domain I'd like to register- I emailed them a few questions and they responded back in 10 minutes...quite impressive!

The new domain will be registered in my name, correct? And I can move it whenever I wish?

I saw that register.com does charge $35.00/year to register

They said they don't not have a forum but will install one upon request. I'll look into different ones.

As a followup- ICDSoft will install invision power board.......

Great! I'm glad I could help.

The new domain will be registered in my name, correct? And I can move it whenever I wish?

I think so -- I know that once I had my domain "officially" in my name, I could do whatever I wanted with it.

I saw that register.com does charge $35.00/year to register

Yes. In fact, this thread got me thinking about that again. Turns out that I can transfer the registration to ICDSoft (or Dotster, or wherever), effectively saving me $30 per year. At the time I moved to ICD (about 2 years ago), they weren't able to do this.

So, I guess I'll have to spend that $30 I saved somewhere else.... new RVG's perhaps?? B)