29TH ANNUAL CHICAGO JAZZ FESTIVAL

robviti

Well, it's only 7 weeks away, and I can hardly wait to return to Chi-town for my favorite jazz festival. Admission is free, except for the pre-festival concert at Symphony Center. Here's the lineup:

29th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival

Grant Park, 300 S. Columbus Drive

Thursday, August 30

Symphony Center, 7:30 p.m.

Herbie Hancock

Friday, August 31

Jackson Stage

12 p.m.: Redd Holt and Friends of Eldee Young

1:10 p.m.: Mark Colby Quartet

2:20 p.m.: Tammy McCann

3:30 p.m.: Salute to Jimmy Ellis with Jabari Liu and Ernest Dawkins

Heritage Stage

12:30 p.m.: Kenwood Academy Jazz Band

2 p.m.: Justin Dillard Trio

3:30 p.m.: Charlie Haden with Jazz Institute of Chicago Jazz Links Students

Petrillo Music Shell

5 p.m.: Robert Irving III

6 p.m.: Michele Rosewoman and Quintessence

7:10 p.m.: The Latin All Stars

8:30 p.m.: Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood

Saturday, September 1

Jackson Stage

12 p.m.: Bill McFarland and the Chicago Horns

1:10 p.m.: Miguel de la Cerna

1:40 p.m.: Ken Chaney

2:20 p.m.: Keefe Jackson's Fast Citizens

3:30 p.m.: The Mulligan Mosaics Big Band

Heritage Stage

12:30 p.m.: Edwin Daugherty Quartet

2 p.m.: John Vidacovich

3:30 p.m.: Typhanie Monique

Petrillo Music Shell

5 p.m.: Dan Trudell's B3 Bombers

6 p.m.: The Cookers featuring featuring Eddie Henderson, James Spaulding, Billy Harper, George Cables, Cecil McBee, David Weiss and Gene Jackson

7:10 p.m.: Ernestine Anderson and Frank Wess

8:30 p.m.: Charlie Haden and the Liberation Music Orchestra

Sunday, September 2

Jackson Stage

12 p.m.: Pete Benson Organ Trio featuring Jeff Parker

1:10 p.m.: Mark Courtney Johnson Quartet

2:20 p.m.: Astral Project

3:30 p.m.: A Windy City Jam featuring Charlie Haden

Heritage Stage

12:30 p.m.: Erwin Helfer and Skinny Williams

2 p.m.: Janice Borla

3:30 p.m.: Matt Geraghty Project featuring Satya Gummuluri, Sam Barsh, Jim Gailloreto, Jeff Fortin and Steve Ramsdell

Petrillo Music Shell

5 p.m.: Kim Cusack and John Otto

6 p.m.: Rob Mazurek's Exploding Star Orchestra featuring Bill Dixon

7:10 p.m.: Bobby Watson's Horizon featuring Jeremy Pelt, Ed Simon, Essiet Essiet and Victor Lewis

8:30 p.m.: Mingus Big Band

• 5 weeks later...

...who else is in for this festival??? I'll be there from Tuesday through Sunday. I know Jazzshrink from the east, Jazzkrow from the pacific northwest, Sal from chi-town, my good friend Jim Nuemann and possible ejp626 are in....how about any of you in the vacinity....????

There are a few good "afterfest sets" at the Velvet Lounge as well....Fred Anderson, Hamid, Dana Hall and maybe others.

m~

Coincidentally, my wife and I will be in Chicago that weekend. The trip wasn't planned around the festival... we found out about it after the fact. Bonus!

Mark, where can I find more info on aftershows?

Unfortunately, I am going to miss Exploding Star, but plan on making Keefe Jackson's set. We are planning on seeing the Cubbies play a day game, so it'll be either Friday or Saturday. Any advice on tickets?

Coincidentally, my wife and I will be in Chicago that weekend. The trip wasn't planned around the festival... we found out about it after the fact. Bonus!

Unfortunately, I am going to miss Exploding Star, but plan on making Keefe Jackson's set. We are planning on seeing the Cubbies play a day game, so it'll be either Friday or Saturday. Any advice on tickets?

A link to online ticket agencies:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search

That way, you know what you're getting, are probably paying the market price, and you've got your tickets beforehand (allow enough time for them to get to you). I wouldn't recommend scalpers near Wrigley Field for two reasons: 1) Some such tickets are forgeries 2) If the cops are cracking down, as they sometimes are, both the seller and the buyer are nabbed, which would really spoil your day.

Well, I only know about two right now:

The Paul Abella Trio @

Joey's Brickhouse

1258 W. Belmont

(two blocks from Belmont red line stop)

9:30pm-1am

Pianist Benny Green is playing with a vocalist at the Green Mill as well.

A link to online ticket agencies:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search

That way, you know what you're getting, are probably paying the market price, and you've got your tickets beforehand (allow enough time for them to get to you). I wouldn't recommend scalpers near Wrigley Field for two reasons: 1) Some such tickets are forgeries 2) If the cops are cracking down, as they sometimes are, both the seller and the buyer are nabbed, which would really spoil your day.

Thanks Larry. I'm going to take your advice. Any "bad" spots in Wrigley? I've been watching WGN since elementary school, but I've never been inside. I'm not planning on spending a fortune on tickets.

Thanks Larry. I'm going to take your advice. Any "bad" spots in Wrigley? I've been watching WGN since elementary school, but I've never been inside. I'm not planning on spending a fortune on tickets.

If you've never been to Wrigley, just being there will be an incredible experience, no matter where you sit.

For those of us who have been to ridiculous amounts of games, we are more picky.

You'll have better chances of decent weather over Labor Day weekend. I think the chances of it being intolerably hot are slim. If you want to play it safe, the terrace reserved seats are decent and you'll be under the grandstand. But I'd advise getting the field box or the bleachers above anywhere else.

Here's a link to the Velvet Lounge and their schedule around the festival http://velvetlounge.net/

I'll look into some other venues as well and keep you posted. Drop me a PM if you want to hook up with us?

Mark~

Hey, if a whole bunch of Organissimo-ers are going to be in town, I will again float my Friday night gig at Joey's Brickhouse as an idea.

The band might be mediocre, but the food is excellent.

just a thought from an over zealous self promoting type.

If I can get out of work at a decent time on Friday, I'd definitely like to come check it out! We are closing the month of August that day (I'm an accountant) and it usually involves a late night at work.

Edited by sal

I'd love to meet up with y'all. Everyone want to meet at the Jordan/Anderson/Bankhead/Drake gig?

Works for me! Saturday is the day I plan on spending the entire day down there, as well as the entire night. Looking forward to it!

6 p.m.: The Cookers featuring featuring Eddie Henderson, James Spaulding, Billy Harper, George Cables, Cecil McBee, David Weiss and Gene Jackson

So is this the final lineup for this Saturday show? I know they've changed the lineup several times. I'd be just fine with this one!

Think I'll head over to the Velvet after this show in order to get a good spot for Jordan/Anderson/Bankhead/Drake.