Lu Watters bargain

mikelz777

e825771ded3.jpg

Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz Band was one of the most influential Dixieland groups of all time. With Watters and Bob Scobey on trumpets, trombonist Turk Murphy, clarinetist Bob Helm, and Wally Rose on piano, banjo, tuba (or bass), and drums, this band had a lot of power and enthusiasm. At a time when swing dominated jazz and bebop was ready to take over, Watters' successful extension of 1920s jazz was a major force in fueling the Dixieland revival movement. This four-CD set has all of the group's studio recordings plus live broadcasts from 1946-1947 and six rare performances by the wartime version of the YBJB featuring the talented but ill-fated trumpeter Benny Strickler. This reissue is absolutely essential for all traditional jazz fans and historians. The heated ensembles and joyous solos are great fun to hear.

Attention traditional jazzers and moldy fig types! You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than this 4-CD set! This box set is excellent and highly recommended. Currently $19.99 brand new from Newbury Comics as of the time of this posting. Grab it while you can!! (link is posted below)

Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz Band

Edited by mikelz777

I bought this on your recommendation jazzbo and a good recommendation it was! Thanks! Hearing samples put me in the mood for some new dixieland and I got it for around this same bargain price so I couldn't pass it up. I enjoyed this one from beginning to end and the booklet inside was excellent and informative. At that price, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed.

Edited by mikelz777

Drat. Gone. Thanks anyway!

You might want to "wish list" it on Amazon and keep an eye on it. I think I've seen a couple of these pop up over the last couple of months for pretty reasonable prices. In any event, if anyone is hot for it, it can be had elsewhere cheaper than the $59.99 the other Amazon seller was asking for it.