ONE WORLD JAZZ

DrJ

Anyone seen this LP, from Columbia, 1959 (I have the mono version, not sure of the number, stereo is on AMG as WS314)? It was an early experiment in overdubbing and assembling an album with the musicians on various continents, never having actually played together, spearheaded by Leonard Feather. JJ Johnson, Ben Webster, Grappelli, Solal, and a host of others from the U.S., UK, Sweden, and France. Some pretty hoary, well-worn tunes, but the playing is real good (there's some superb JJ and Webster). I can post other details later when home and the album's in front of me, but has anyone else enjoyed this one? Would be nice to see it reissued on CD some day.

OK, the mono version number is WL 162. Here's the lineup:

From the U.S.: Clark Terry, Ben Webster, JJ Johnson, Hank Jones, Kenny Burrell, Jo Jones, and George Duvivier

From France: Grappelli, Solal, Roger Guerin (trumpet)

From the UK: George Chisholm (trombone), Bob Garcia (tenor sax), Roy East (alto sax), Ronnie Ross (piano)

From Sweden: Ake Persson (trombone)

Listening in the car again this morning, I have to say this is a fun record. There is some prime JJ and Webster, that was reinforced - if you're a fan of Webster's ballad artistry, for example, there's a killer reading of "Misty." I wish I had found this record soon enough to have included a track on my blindfold test CD, it would have fit the theme perfectly!

I doubt we'll see a reissue of this album by Columbia/Legacy anytime...if Mosaic ever gets around to doing a various artists COLUMBIA JAZZ SESSIONS box, similar to the CAPITOL JAZZ box they did that rescued so much valuable material from American Reissue Purgatory, it would be a nice thing to include.