Côte à Côte - Coast To Coast: Art and Jazz in France and California

Adam

Sorry for the late notice, but this has some very interesting events, including Rene Urtreger's first performance ever in Los Angeles!

One doesn't need to attend it all. Check out the details!

Côte à Côte - Coast To Coast: Art and Jazz in France and California

Tuesday, November 13 - Thursday, November 15, 2007

Harold M. Williams Auditorium

The Getty Center

Côte à Côte explores the intersection of jazz with postwar art and culture. A two-day multimedia program on November 13 and 14 features conversations with artists and musicians, poetry readings, musical performances, and talks on art, literature and music. Daytime events include conversation with master photographer William Claxton with special guests Bud Shank and Dennis Hopper, the premier of George Herms’ free jazz opera featuring Los Angeles based jazz musicians, a reading and performance by renowned poet and musician of the beat generation David Meltzer, sets by Central Avenue jazz legends Clora Bryant, Ernie Andrews and Buddy Collette, and more. On November 14, an evening screening of rare film shorts from French and American archives features live musical accompaniment by René Urtreger. Côte à Côte culminates in a concert on November 15, with West Coast and French musicians playing well-known jazz favorites and new interpretations of jazz classics. Held in conjunction with the Orange County Museum of Art exhibition Birth of the Cool, Côte à Côte explores and explodes creative boundaries—bringing artists, scholars, poets, and musicians of different ages and nationalities together to celebrate their shared love of jazz.

Conference

Tuesday, November 13, 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Wednesday, November 14, 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Film Screening

Wednesday, November 14, 7:30 p.m.

Concert

Thursday, November 15, 8:00 p.m.

All events take place at the Harold M. Williams Auditorium, The Getty Center.

To register for the conference and to purchase concert tickets please visit www.getty.edu

or call (310) 440-7300.

The Côte à Côte conference schedule is available online here: http://www.getty.edu/visit/events/cote_a_cote.html

The West Coast people have all the luck. This looks might interesting.

Don't miss René Urtreger's appearance. He plays better than ever, looks younger than ever!

And he should be interviewed for reminiscences. He has met and played with all the giants including Lester Young, Miles Davis, Bud Powell and many others.

A fascinating storyteller!

I had planned on attending all days of it but I swear the airline rates were climbing before my eyes. By the time I was done with airline/hotel, it was just crazy so I cancelled. I was looking forward to seeing William Claxton with B. Shank and Dennis Hopper.. :blink:

Sad to miss it but literally, I found an airline/hotel package...hit the submit button and it says....this is no longer available as airline costs have risen....right before my eyes :tdown .

If you've never been to the Getty....worth the trip out to LA just for it!

m~

Edited by sheldonm

It was nice day today for the Getty. I missed the morning, including Ted Gioia, but liked the presentations by Rashida Briggs on Vian's Manual to Saint-Germain, and another on West Coast Jazz Women. The final discussion with Clora Bryant, Ernie Andrews, and Buddy Collette was fun, but only Buddy was really informative.

And the weather was utterly gorgeous, one of those breath-taking days here at the Getty.

Not crowded, and still tickets for tomorrow night and Thursday night.