Help with Identifying a Japanese Cartoon Character

HWright

For fans of Japanese cartoons and culture, I have a request for help.

Last month I went to Japan on vacation. While in Nagoya, I went into what I believe is called a Character Shop. This was a shop that sold products (stuffed toys, key chains, posters, action figures, etc) related to popular Japanse characters, such as the characters of Studio Ghibli (movies by Miyazaki and his team such as "My Neighbor Totoro," "Spirited Away," and so forth).

Also in the store I found some products related to a character I think I had seen before in an article on the web in the US. The article talked about how the character (he was brown, somewhat like Mr. Gumby or one of the Ugly Doll characters, only brown and with a big mouth) had developed a sort of grass roots appeal online in the US and then wondered if this would help launch the character in the mainstream. I don't remember if it said if the character had his own TV show or comic books or what. One of the posters I saw of this character in the store in Japan showed the character hanging out with a friend who was a rabbit with horned rimmed glasses.

Does anyone know what this character's name is and how I can find out more about him?

Thanks.