BFT 53 discussion

John B

Given that this will be a short month with the holidays I'm going to go ahead and open the discussion thread now. I'll make sure I post answers before the new year.

Again, I'm still happy to send a copy to anyone who is interested but hasn't yet signed up.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts and impressions on the disc!

Was able to listen to the first song here are my impressions, i intend to listen to the thing at least three times so these impressions may change .

As the intro started i was expecting the worse, the tune was a little too cute for my liking, when the rest of the band joined, i enjoyed a lot more the groove of the song. Some of the riffs by the drummer were a litlle cliché.

It is still fun stuff to listen, would like to hear more stuff from the group before making a definitive statement.

By the way more than an hour after listening to this song, it's still bopping up in my head, whatever misgivings i have about it, give it high marks for catchiness.

You have touched on a few of the reasons I included this track. As you mention, some of the playing is simplistic and not very original, but the track has a groove that really got in my head and stuck.

Song number 2, very festive song, almost ska like msuic the melody reminds me a little bit of the stuff that Mano Negra usedto do especially with the latino percussions, almost expected a young Manu Chao singing over it.

Great music to wake up to especially if you're a fireman who has been called on duty.

Edited by Van Basten II

By the way more than an hour after listening to this song, it's still bopping up in my head, whatever misgivings i have about it, give it high marks for catchiness.

You have touched on a few of the reasons I included this track. As you mention, some of the playing is simplistic and not very original, but the track has a groove that really got in my head and stuck.

Not knowing the players involved, were they dumbing down the licks to get a frendlier more accessible piece of music or are they that rudimentary ?

Not knowing the players involved, were they dumbing down the licks to get a frendlier more accessible piece of music or are they that rudimentary ?

I don't know a lot about the players involved but, judging by their playing on other tracks from the album, they were capable of more technically proficient and interesting playing. I'm guessing that the arrangement of this traditional tune has a lot to do with how simply they play it.

Greetings :)

I requested this disk and then forgot all about it until I found it in the mail. Thanks very much!

#1 didn't do much for me.

I like track #2 for the sense of humor. Has a bit of Mingus flavor to my way of thinking. I LOVE Mingus's work -- even named my canary after him. But his recordings are a bit like liver and onions in that I wouldn't enjoy such a strong, distinctive flavor every day.

#3. Precomposed? I don't understand this a bit but I like it, and I like the contrast to #2.

#4. Middle eastern flavor ... is that an accordian? And a tuba? Unison playing with is nice. And the time signature seems to be changing and I can't quite figure it out. Great stuff.

#5. Piano/bass duo.... drums ... to me, the percussion is the most happening thing here from the minute it starts. The rest is a bit new-agey for my taste.

That's my impressions for now.

Susan

Greetings :)

I requested this disk and then forgot all about it until I found it in the mail. Thanks very much!

#4. Middle eastern flavor ... is that an accordian? And a tuba? Unison playing with is nice. And the time signature seems to be changing and I can't quite figure it out. Great stuff.

That's my impressions for now.

Susan

#4 - Correct. Accordion, tuba, oud, clarinet and drums.

#2 - I hadn't made the Mingus connection with track #2, but I can see what you mean. Most of this band's material isn't as hyper or ska-like as this track, but they are all full of humor, energy and wonderful technique.

I'm enjoying reading your impressions!

Second installment

#6 - Great start. Catchy but too repetitious for me. Is this ska? (Honestly ignorant here ...)

#7 - Opposite of #6 in the sense that it's not catchy but I find it much more interesting. I like the three independent horn parts in the head. Why are memorable melodies so rare in modern jazz harmonies?

#8 - Fun and I like it. The descending progression and "fanfare" at the end of the form really boxes in an improvisor, I would think (and I notice that the fanfare goes away later in the performance). Another quirky "flavor" that I wouldn't want to hear every day.

#9 - Sweet :) Who needs a chording instrument, anyhow? This has a conversational feel between the two horns.

#10 - Da Da duh dah don don don .... Da Da duh dah don don don .... Da Da duh dah don don don .... Da Da duh dah don don don .... Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don ....Da Da duh dah don don don .... dinga ding dee ding dah dee ... dinga ding dee ding dah dee ...dinga ding dee ding dah dee ... dinga ding dee ding dah dee ... dinga ding dee ding dah dee ...

Well it made me smile. I wouldn't object to this in a playlist ... or go out of my way to get it.

#11 - bass clarinet? Don Byron? I like it.

#12 - is the first soloist a trombone? Interesting transition from the head (all hooky and catchy) to the free improv sort of solos and back. I'm not particularly a fan of saxo-screeching. I guess I don't understand it? Can someone point out what I'm missing in the sax solo?

Piece number 3, at first i thought it would be a Hat kind like of duet but the music became a lot more dense and it had some kind of emergency like they were running out of time. The piece ended up abruptly like at the end of a concert.

Like a lot the sax player, my favourite piece so far. I' d wish they could have extrapolated more their ideas.

Piece number 3, at first i thought it would be a Hat kind like of duet but the music became a lot more dense and it had some kind of emergency like they were running out of time. The piece ended up abruptly like at the end of a concert.

Like a lot the sax player, my favourite piece so far. I' d wish they could have extrapolated more their ideas.

You would enjoy the rest of the album. I chose their shortest duo performance in order to fit onto the single BFT disc. They have more time to stretch out on other tracks.

Edited by John B

Second installment

#6 - Great start. Catchy but too repetitious for me. Is this ska? (Honestly ignorant here ...)

Not ska. The tune was written by an african musican and the ensemble is a mix of african and british players.

#7 - Opposite of #6 in the sense that it's not catchy but I find it much more interesting. I like the three independent horn parts in the head. Why are memorable melodies so rare in modern jazz harmonies?

I really enjoy this musician's writing and playing, but haven't heard anything new from him in a few years. The only player who has a "major" name these days is the pianist.

#11 - bass clarinet? Don Byron? I like it.

This is a bass clarinet, but not Don Byron. He also doubles on alto and clarinet on this album.

#12 - is the first soloist a trombone? Interesting transition from the head (all hooky and catchy) to the free improv sort of solos and back. I'm not particularly a fan of saxo-screeching. I guess I don't understand it? Can someone point out what I'm missing in the sax solo?

The first soloist is a trombone. I have several different albums where this sax player covers tunes by the composer of this piece. They all have this nice juxtaposition of groove with free-blowing.

Piece 6, like the instrumentation but for whatever reason the piece never shifts gears, so any excitation you have listening to it basically disolves. A little dissapointing.

Piece 7, Good but not great music, cute but a a little too conventional and straight ahead for my tastes, liked the sax.

Edited by Van Basten II

OK got this today, just spinning it now.....

1) an organ group doing--is it "Country Gardens"? A very enjoyable track!

2) I know people who adore these guys--somehow they've never really clicked with me in a big way but it's good fun. They do have one of the coolest band names in the universe. Outside this band I usually hear the saxophonist doing fairly rarefied improv rather than this burly post-Vandermark stuff.

3) Unmistakably Mr EP, not sure of the pianist--initially thought maybe the studio album with Tracey (I only have the excellent live date) but I don't think so.

OK time to send the little one to bed, will pick away at this in the next day or so.

Piece number 5 interesting contrast duet between a soft piano tune and a drummer that pulls all the stunts. An ECMish piece. Not bad but not convinced yet.

Wonder if the drummer keeps going this way in the rest of the session

This piece is atypical of the session as a whole. I chose it after hearing a beautiful live version when I saw this group a few months back.

Piece 9, Not as much fun as the previous one but still very good, great sound, nice interaction between the band.

I'd like to single out someone in the band but they sound all great to me.

I agree. The bass player is the leader on this date, but it really has a collective feel and everyone shines.

OK got this today, just spinning it now.....

1) an organ group doing--is it "Country Gardens"? A very enjoyable track!

Not "Country Gardens." This is listed as a traditional Swedish dance tune on the album.

2) I know people who adore these guys--somehow they've never really clicked with me in a big way but it's good fun. They do have one of the coolest band names in the universe. Outside this band I usually hear the saxophonist doing fairly rarefied improv rather than this burly post-Vandermark stuff.

I find all of their albums to be a lot of fun. It is interesting how his solo work has so little to do with his ensemble playing.

3) Unmistakably Mr EP, not sure of the pianist--initially thought maybe the studio album with Tracey (I only have the excellent live date) but I don't think so.

Correct. This is from their studio album.

OK time to send the little one to bed, will pick away at this in the next day or so.