Tube amp for iPod

papsrus

Here it is:

41UeX1Wc1IL._AA280_.jpg

More info here.

Arrived yesterday. Set it up this morning. Pretty damn good sound, to my ear. Crystal clear. Robust bass. Nice price. This is the low end of their product line, and there are other similar rigs out there from other companies designed for the iPod.

I had to re-rip a bunch of CDs in lossless format to take full advantage of the thing. I haven't done a comparison test yet, but I'm certain MP3s would sound a lot muddier. The amp also has a jack for a CD player.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has heard this or similar systems, what they think. I'm really happy with this.

Edited by papsrus

Hi James. Glad it arrived, and that you're enjoying it so far!

I have a feeling you'll like it even more as it "breaks in." (I really believe that electronic components of this nature do that).

I've a Monitor Audio "i-deck" (the first version with the separate speakers, so a three piece, not one piece set) and I really enjoy its sound. This is likely even better sounding and as such you'll get quite a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Audio Advisor is now selling Audioquest connectors for a cd player into this sort of unit at quite a reduced price that are quite nice-sounding cables and will give you a sonic boost over the garden variety connector for a cd player to the unit. . . .You might want to hint that this would make a nice Xmas gift. :)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQMINI1PV

Edited by jazzbo

Hi James. Glad it arrived, and that you're enjoying it so far!

I have a feeling you'll like it even more as it "breaks in." (I really believe that electronic components of this nature do that).

I've a Monitor Audio "i-deck" (the first version with the separate speakers, so a three piece, not one piece set) and I really enjoy its sound. This is likely even better sounding and as such you'll get quite a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Audio Advisor is now selling Audioquest connectors for a cd player into this sort of unit at quite a reduced price that are quite nice-sounding cables and will give you a sonic boost over the garden variety connector for a cd player to the unit. . . .You might want to hint that this would make a nice Xmas gift. :)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQMINI1PV

Thanks for the heads-up on Audio Advisor. I will look into those connectors. ...

Yeah, super happy with this. I look forward to breaking it in :tup ... I've been sampling a variety of stuff for much of the day and it's amazing how much it seems I've been missing. ...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure he does.

Audio Advisor has had some good prices on this for some time. I considered buying one. . .but the more I listen to my Monitor Audio iDeck (the one with separate speakers and central amplifier/control unit) especially with a modified dvd player going through it, the more happy I am.

Sorry, missed the bump earlier.

Yeah, it's good as far as offering nice, crisp sound, to my ear. But by using lossless files, it means there's no way in hell I can even get a fraction of my collection on my computer, let alone the iPod, so I have to manage the music by dragging albums from a remote hard drive into playlists in iTunes. A little cumbersome. Not quite like picking a CD off the shelf and firing it up.

Overall value-wise, quite satisfied. (I think I paid around $400-$500 for it). But I'll be picking up a new tube-based system by year's end, I'm pretty sure, including a CD player.

Lon pointed me to Decware, and from my limited looking around, they seem to offer some great values as well.

(I don't know how much you know about tube amps, but generally they don't come with treble or bass controls, although you can order them with these controls, and the Fatman does have a remote with treble and bass controls. But the general view is that these controls just muddy up the sound quality. As one manufacturer said, if you want us to put treble and bass controls on your amp, we'll do it, but if you get them, you'll need them. ... Meaning, they'll screw up the crispness of the sound just by being there. ... has something to do with resistors or something.)

Tone controls are mostly needed for one of two things....either compensating for a "not so great" system, or fixing a bad mix/mastering job (lots of those running around unfortunately).

Lon's Decware system has the most amazing depth I've ever heard in a stereo and it only has a volume knob. Every added circuit on an amplifier adds noise and "dilutes" the signal slightly (like adding a coaxial splitter for multiple TV's reduces the picture quality). In audiophile land simplicity is key.