J. Moran played tonight

Jad

Still digesting what I heard tonight, but man what a show. Some Elllington, Andrew Hill, A. Bambataa, Byard, Brahms. Pretty similar to the Bandwagon cd, but they stretched out (way out) on most of the tunes. The Brahms intermezzo was especially moving. What else do you need to know? If he's coming your way check him out.

Still digesting what I heard tonight, but man what a show. - Jad

Indeed it was. I brought along 3 friends who had never heard him play a note and they were enthralled (as was I.) The venue was so small that we could easily watch his hands work their way around the keys. Phew!

It was cool to hear the covers off of Black Stars without Rivers (not knocking him by any means) and "Ringing My Phone (Straight Out of Istanbul)" works so well live. Amusing and thought provoking. I think the next time someone starts chattering on a cellphone while in line at the grocery store I won't be thinking such harsh thoughts but instead will try to hear Moran playing to it. Maybe it will work once.

It seemed almost criminal that I only paid $14.50 for the show. Gotta be the best concert bang for the buck in my life.

And thanks to all here who made me aware of Mr. Moran and his band.

So, when is his next album coming out? :excited:

I can't wait to (someday) hear Moran playing live, mostly his own music. I've heard him 4 or 5 times, but always with Osby's quartet (or with the New Directions group, the first time I heard him).

IMHO, Moran is by far the most interesting piano player of his generation, and dare I say perhaps one of the most interesting composers on the jazz scene today (of any generation). Right up there with Andrew Hill, in my book

Alright, it was a few days ago by now, but the show's still on my mind. Nice to hear him play on the new Steinway they had, Nasheet Waits was AMAZING to watch live (his playing came across much better here than on the Bandwagon CD), although in his louder moments he could drown out everyone else (not sure if it was his fault. The room picked up the drums more than anything else).

Even managed to talk to him a bit after the show (yeah, we're buds. Dropped by my pad for beer after the show. Well, not really). Had to ask him if Ringing My Phone (agree with Quincy on that performance) was actually scored. It was. Could I see it? No. Ah well, he's a nice guy anyway. (Managed to name drop this site, maybe he's lurking somewhere?).

Quincy, you another member in this 'burg? One by one, we're taking over.

Quotes from Jad:

Nice to hear him play on the new Steinway they had

Brought from Queens via the Oregon Trail!

Nasheet Waits was AMAZING to watch live (his playing came across much better here than on the Bandwagon CD), although in his louder moments he could drown out everyone else (not sure if it was his fault.  The room picked up the drums more than anything else).

I was going to mention that but I feared one more sentence and I'd be babbling like a schoolgirl who just saw n'Sync. We've had 2 huge drummers come to town this year as Billy Kilson (now ex-DHQ) passed through earlier in the year.

I wasn't expecting Nasheet to be such a force. Great brush work too.

Quincy, you another member in this 'burg? One by one, we're taking over.

Arrrrr!

Happy Pirate Day.

ex-DHQ? Who's playing with Holland now? - Big Wheel

According to Robin Eubanks it will be Nate Smith.

Inside of Ask The Musicians at Jazz Corner there's a section called "Ask Robin Eubanks" that he posts to.

Post 374:

"Dave used a drummer named Nate Smith on several gigs that Billy couldn't make over the last couple of years. He did a very good job and Dave wants to give him a chance to do the gig for a while and see what happens. It should be cool...different, but cool.

Dave cited personal reasons between he and Billy for the change."

I haven't read the follow up posts since he announced this but I'm sure there are many who are shocked/saddened/etc. as Billy Kilson really wows people when they see the band. I guess I'll see the reactions when I read them!

I suppose I got over his leaving the band within a couple of minutes when it occured to that maybe Billy is capable of leading his own band which might just happen play in our town sometime. Wherever he ends up I think I'll want to check it out.

IMHO, Moran is by far the most interesting piano player of his generation, and dare I say perhaps one of the most interesting composers on the jazz scene today (of any generation). Right up there with Andrew Hill, in my book

OH really? A few years back alot of people were raving about Stephen Scott the same way.

As 4 me and "newer pianists", I'll go with Calderazzo, the next, real McCoy.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the Greg Osby Four here in Chicago a couple months ago. The only thing is that...one of the Four didn't show due to the blackout! So a local drummer sat in. It was a nice show, but as you know if you listen to alot of Greg Osby, his compositions/arrangements can be complex and sometimes tricky. The drummer was having a bit of a hard time. Granted what a daunting task it must be to sit in with Greg Osby having never played with him before, I really admired that guy on drums, and he did quite decent considering. But you could tell the band was holding back due to their regular drummer's absence.

So in all, look forward to a great show given all four of them show up! Maybe Osby will sit in with JaMo the night before. That would be sweet to see.