Bob Moses' b'earthday celebration

Guest Bill Barton

I was there. Moses was very self-effacing, by choice, and it was definitely Muñoz's night. I'm still processing it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Muñoz is a rare and undeniable musician. His tone alone, with minimal equipment, is amazing.

I had the Munoz LP on India Navigation and wasn't feeling it. I think I got $30 for it, but maybe it would be something I'd enjoy now.

Still dig Moses' Bittersuite LP but haven't dug too much beyond that and the odd Gary Burton side.

Guest Bill Barton

I was there. Moses was very self-effacing, by choice, and it was definitely Muñoz's night. I'm still processing it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Muñoz is a rare and undeniable musician. His tone alone, with minimal equipment, is amazing.

I had the Munoz LP on India Navigation and wasn't feeling it. I think I got $30 for it, but maybe it would be something I'd enjoy now.

Still dig Moses' Bittersuite LP but haven't dug too much beyond that and the odd Gary Burton side.

The large ensemble recordings on Gramavision are well worth checking out: When Elephants Dream of Music (1982), Visit with the Great Spirit (1983) and Time Stood Still (1993). I haven't heard The Story of Moses from '87 which is also a large group recording. His compositions and arrangements knocked me out then and still do. Another disc that I like a lot is Nishoma (Beautiful Soul) from 2000, a smaller combo recording on the Grapeshot label; there are a couple of tunes on here that are trios for bass clarinet, drumset and tap dancer (Jimmy Slyde) - gotta love it...